PDA

View Full Version : How should we fix the "hole" after pool install?

JohnnySixString
04-28-2006, 01:53 AM
We just had a 24' round installed and they had to dig almost a foot on the side closest to my house. Now we have a ledge in front of the pool and it sits in a "hole" on one side. Hopefully the pics work. We are thinking about getting a tiller and breaking up all the clay/dirt and attempt to grade it down to the pool. Anyone dealt with this or have any ideas?

glepage
04-28-2006, 07:11 AM
You could dig back the ledge 1 or 2 feet and put a retaining wall up that would start at ground level and follow the contour of the ledge. That is what I plan to do with a 24' AG pool that will be level with the grade in the front and have about a 2.5' ledge in the back.

In the town I live in, before approving the installation, they would check to see if the ledge was a climbing hazard by swinging a 4 ft tape measure from the top rail of the pool and if it touched the ground you would have to dig it back or use a fence on the pool.

Nice looking pool BTW.

roxy
04-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice spot to begin that deck that you were not planning on!!! That is what I am planning on....here in NY they require 48" from the top rail to grade for a distance of 48" from the base. I had the installer dig out 48" larger than the pool, just so I can get inspected before I build a deck. Many little projects have popped up since the pool. He had to dig 16" on the half of the pool closest to the house...he left me with a large pile of topsoil....so if any of you are interested.....please help yourself!!!

JohnnySixString
04-29-2006, 02:19 AM
We thought about building a deck but not any time soon. We're still thinking about just grading it down, but the retaining wall seems like a really good idea too. Could be nice looking as well. Still open to any ideas though.

NWMNMom
04-29-2006, 07:30 AM
That isn't very high of an edge there, although you don't want to leave it that way either. I would grade it back since it is such a low difference. Put down some good heavy landscape fabric and add some nice crushed or pea rock around the outside 1' to 2' of the pool, that would insure good drainage and make it look really nice too. It will also make it a lot easier upkeep around the edge of the pool - no grass or weeds to trim away.

Very nice looking pool - it compliments your back yard well. (what brand is it?) JMHO, but I think a retaining wall in that spot would look out of place.

matt4x4
05-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Are you in a heavy frost area? This will make a world of difference as to what you should be doing with that spot.

JohnnySixString
05-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the compliments. The boxes the pool came in said it was a Sharkline and the model is either the Blossom or some other name I can't remember.

So far we're planning on the grading back idea. We thought about the retaining wall and decided it wasn't necessary given it isn't that high and it would look better graded down with a border like NWMNMom suggested. It seems like the best and easiest route to go, especially since I just found out our HOA doesn't approve decks that high. Oh yeah, we're down in San Antonio, Texas so frost isn't a problem if anyone else has any ideas.

matt4x4
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Not sure how much rain you get - I believe texas is pretty dry, but it doesn't hurt to dig a small drainage ditch and put in some weeping tile and backfill with gravel, have the tile come out on the low side of the pool, this will ensure you don't get moisture hanging around there indefinitely.
Other than that, grading or a small retaining wall would suffice.