PDA

View Full Version : Prime Lost - Hope this helps

smallpooldad
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
My friend's pool pump and Hayward sand filter are above the level of his pool and every morning the prime was lost.

His old pool person tried many times to fix the problem but was unable to. He also has a spa, the multiport valve recently started leaking, through the backwash tube, a separate system.

His new pool person replaced the spider ring on this and at the same time did the pool valve as my friend did not want to wait till that failed.

When he pulled off both valves we noticed that the glue used seemed to be of an animal deritavive. Not the type recommended by Hayward, Hayward recommends a 3M Scotch-Grip Industrial Adhesive 4799. He had to gently scarp of the old glue with a screwdriver. This took about 2 hours.

Since this was done there are no more prime problems.

So if you are having prime problems this might be an area that you might want to investigate.

Hope this helps.

Sumo1
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Did you really mean "pull off" the valves versus 'cut off', as I've had to do?? Besides the spider gasket, I'm not sure what else would fail. Just asking for future reference and info. Thanks.

Hal

smallpooldad
08-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Hal very good point. My wording was not good. Thank you. I glad you caught that.

What I should have written was he unscrewed the top assembly (the one with the lever) and pulled that off. The bottom valve assembly was left in place. After removing the lever assembly he just put it aside. He then removed the rubber spider gasket/ring while the assembly was still attached to the pool pvc lines, from the bottom section.

I hope that makes sense. If not someone else who does this all the time might wish to re-write what I am trying to say, I would welcome that.

This seems fairly straight forward to do. What is not straight forward was removing the old bad glue, it took him a long time, it is a delicate job. I believe if you use the right glue from 3M you should put in on a dry assembly and let it set dry for 15 minutes with the spider gasket/ring attached. If you ever need to remove the 3M glue 3M has a substance that will do this for you. To order it the name is marked on the glue tube. This makes removing the 3M glue very simple.

Hal does this make sense?

Aloha

waste
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Makes plenty of sense to me, but I do it all the time:p

There was a thread a while agohere wherein gluing the spider gaskets (wagon wheels) is discussed.

Hal, good to see you! I hope that your pool and the church pool are both doing well and that you are enjoying the summer:)

Hi to you as well, smallpooldad! I hope that the weather in Hawaii is good and you are getting the most out of your pool!

Ted

smallpooldad
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Waste,

The weather has been spectacular recently, except today, a little cloudy with showers on the mountain.

As regards swimming, I have been in the pool once a day nearly every day and sometimes twice. Two of my daughters are home from college so they to are enjoying it.

Today my SWG, which I love, went on the blink, although I finally got it working, although only temporarily I think; the temp sensor seems to be going bad. The unit is only 4 months old, stuff happens I suppose.

For those of you who do not do your own pool, in Hawaii, the person that helped us is more knowledgeable than most and is a real fair person when it comes to charges. So if you need his name and number I could give it out. And, no I never met him until four months ago. Moderator, if this is not allowed by the site please let me know and I will edit this out.

Finally, Waste, I still am not happy about the way I explained it. If you could re-write it it would be appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words,

Aloha.

Poconos
08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
No trouble but I wouldn't post a phone number on the forum. Use private messaging instead.
Al

Sumo1
08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
SPDad, thanks for the clarification. I don't mean to be too picky, as I know we're on the same page. I know it's said to be a Mortal Sin:eek: , but I do envy your having Hawa'ii for a return address. While we've had a nice couple of days (read: RAIN) here in GA, the sweltering heat will return soon.

Waste, the new and improved church pool opened June 2, and has been very well-received. Keep watching, as I'll post more soon. Taking quotes on a safety cover right now. $5600 is our best price yet!

Hal