PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ph and swg issues

SoCalBoo
04-28-2006, 12:13 AM
22k in ground with spa, gunite, plaster, w/ Autopilot SWG. I have a drop test kit. It was built and filled last September. Pool wasn't below 60F much at all this winter, and was used very little last 6 months. it has been in the 70's for the last month or so, now creeping up towards the 80s

My alkalinity hovers from 110-130.

Salt Residual is 3200 (at least that is what it is set on Autopilot)

However, my chl level bounces all over the place, from .5 to near 3.0, but most of the time it is between .5 to 1.0. I'd like to see it up at 1.5 if not a little higher.

I haven't got it tested at store yet, and I'm planning on doing that. But I have some questions

1. The ph is continually at or above 8.0. I have been pouring in a ton of acid (quart a week at some points). My pool builder, who has been very knowledgeable and helpful about everything so far, says that is common with new pools, and it is okay to drop that much acid in, but when does it stop?

2. My SWG has the cell for up to 48k gallons. But since the chlorine levels are low, I've been jacking it up. it is now on level 3 (highest level) at 40% or so. Just seems like it is working way too hard for the size of the cell.

3. Brown/green algae has been popping up on the walls and light fixtures. i've been brushing it off to keep it from growing larger, but it keeps coming back. I understand that this is probably a function of the low chlorine, but is there anything that can be done in the meantime?

4. I haven't had to add salt yet...is that unusual?

Thank you for any help you can give....

duraleigh
04-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Good Morning, (not in the order of your questions)

1. What's your CYA level? might be the cause of excess Cl usage. Alk and salt readings are fine

2. Acid addition will never stop....it's the nature of SWG's. Your quantity seems normal.

3. You'll need to shock with Clorox or Cal Hypo....but tell us your CYA reading first.

4. Not unusual at all not to add salt....maybe most of the Summer :)