PDA

View Full Version : Pool store said my phosphate level is too high

debdevero
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I am an avid Poolsolutions fan and have had lots of help from this forum. I recently went on vacation and returned to a green pool - my dear daughter turned off the filter switch (uh oh!!) I came home to a green, cloudy mess. I went to the local pool store - as bleach wasn't clearing up the water. They have a new test that says my phosphate level is way too high and a phosphate remover is the only thing that will work.

Should I just be patient with the bleach? My ph is a little high - so I plan to lower that with muratic acid.

18x36 inground vinyl liner pool
25000 gallons
ph 7.7
ch 2.0
alk 140

thanks for the help!!

Debbie

aylad
07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Forget the phosphate remover and shock your pool with bleach,holding the shock level until the green clears. Phosphate removers are the latest and greatest way to take money out of your pocket without visibly changing your pool. Save the money and spend it on bleach!! What's your CYA level, and how high are you going with the chlorine?

Janet

debdevero
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply - I have been shocking the pool - reading up to 10 with bleach. It seems to be clearing up already. Patience....... My CYA level is 45.

I was quite leary when the pool store told me that they had a 'new test'. the phosphate reducer was $50 per 16 ounce bottle. New test, new chemical!!

Thanks for your help!!

aylad
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
With a CYA that high, you need to be shocking to 15 -20 instead of 10, and it will speed up the process a good bit!

Janet