PDA

View Full Version : Thio-Trine is there a downside?

smallpooldad
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Is there any downside to using this chemical to reduce chlorine quickly?

After killing black algae my friends levels are 24 ppm chlorine and they want to get back to swimming with their dogs in the pool.

They do not wish to wait for it to go down naturally.

What I really mean is that after being the Super Pool Hero who got rid of all their black algae I do not wish to look bad by killing their two "Darling" little dogs!

Although come to think of it life would be a lot quieter!

aylad
07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't know anything about the chemical except what the MSDS says,but if I just HAD to add something to bring the chlorine down, I would add Polyquat. At least you know it won't hurt the pool or the dogs, and might help prevent further algae outbreaks.

Janet

smallpooldad
07-23-2008, 05:46 PM
aylad,

That is a good idea. Would you know, or anyone else, how much 21 ozs of Algaecide 60 drop the chlorine ppm by in a 20,000 gal pool?

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

aylad
07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure because I don't use it... ....Carl?

Edit:Looks like Carl went offline. I would start with 16 ounces or so (pump on recirculate), give it a little while to circulate, then test and add more as needed.The worst thing that will happen is that the chlorine will go to zero, but you know how to fix that! :)

Janet

waterbear
07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
The only downside to using a chlorine neutralizer is that it adds sufates to your water. This may or may not be a problem.

chem geek
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Would you know, or anyone else, how much 21 ozs of Algaecide 60 drop the chlorine ppm by in a 20,000 gal pool?
This post (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=39948&postcount=15) talks about the relationship where a 2.2 ppm FC drop in 10,000 gallons occurs with the dose of 10 ounces PolyQuat 60 in 10,000 gallons. So you can roughly scale up accordingly, though that's a LOT of PolyQuat. To drop 10 ppm FC would take 45 ounces of PolyQuat 60 per 10,000 gallons.

If they have CYA in the water, then I wouldn't be afraid of going into the water even with 24 ppm FC though it would be preferable if their dogs not drink large volumes of water (it's not a problem for a single exposure but if they drank every day at this level then that would not be good). In terms of disinfection and oxidation of skin, swimsuits and hair, it's still far less "active" chlorine than found in indoor pools. 24 ppm FC with 40 ppm CYA is equivalent to 1.5 ppm FC with no CYA. Also, the FC should drop in sunlight reasonably quickly -- probably from 24 to 16 in one day of strong sunlight.

Richard

smallpooldad
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know of a good taxidermist? Just kidding.

Well I think this thread is pretty clear. Try not to use Thio-Trine unless one is planning on emptying the pool when doing the iron removal process. In other words quickly reduce chlorine so that one can put the un-buffered Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) in overnight.

Let it come back naturally in sunlight, if you have any. And patience is a virtue.

Thank you all for this great amount of knowledge.