PDA

View Full Version : Pump and Filter Going Down Hill Fast

karrde97
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Where to begin. I have a Hayward 1.5Hp sand filter that's 4yrs old. I replaced the strainer cover o-ring this Spring. The new o-ring is a smaller diameter. When the pump is off, it leaks water. When it's running, it sucks air in. I can't get any pressure to run my vacuums. So I finally get the pool clean with my on-again, off-again Pool Blaster. Less than a week later, my pool is dirtier than ever. It's a light brown from all the dirt. I was just in it 2 days ago and it was clear. I check it every night and it's all good. I have filter sand in the pool also. I'm ready to tear it down. The pump doesn't work, the filter doesn't work, the pool cleaners don't work. I'm almost done.

Sorry. Had to vent. I don't know what else to do beside buy a whole new pump/filter set and 'hope' that works.

Kevin

Poolsean
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I think you got the wrong o-ring and it's just sealing it as it should and may be the cause of all your problems.
Was it an original Hayward o-ring or a generic?

karrde97
07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
It was the official Hayward o-ring. I even bought another strainer cap that comes with an o-ring and it does the same thing.

Poolsean
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Best approach is one at a time.
For your pump, is the cover lose also? It doesnt make sense that the oring is smaller, but as long as it mates up to the pump trap, it should seal. Make sure also, that you're lubricating the oring (just not with vasaline - petrolium based lubes will tear down an oring).
Make sure there's no debris on the oring to allow the leak.

For your filter, you may have to tear it down to ensure that the sand filter laterals are good and seated properly, and not cracked or loose.
Try backwashing it a few times. Check your clean filter pressure and see how long it takes to build up 3-5 psi increase in pressure. That may indicate the need to replace your sand.
Sand blowing back into the pool is a sure sign of a filter lateral not seated or is cracked.
It may also be your multiport valve gasket needing replacement.

Not too familiar with the pool cleaner you have.

Hope this helps.

karrde97
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
The cover fits tight. Just not tight as before. I used the lube bought from the pool store. I replaced it because the old got stretched out from constantly bleeding the system.

The filter was apart over the winter. I looked at all the laterals and couldn't see any cracks. The only option could be the seats. That's difficult to tell. The sand is brand new.

I think my only option is to buy a entire new setup next year.

CarlD
07-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Do you have a more reliable dealer in your area? ("More" as in honest enough to trust to fix it) If so, in the off-season he may fix it easily and save you money. If you could disconnect the whole pump and carry it in, they probably could help you--I know at least 2 stores where they could and would help.

karrde97
07-11-2008, 11:10 AM
The only one I trust I talked to about it they think I did something wrong. I had to explain several times that I bought the official designated Hayward o-ring and they still didn't understand.

Part of the problem I have is that I put the solar cover on and check the water every day (Ben's kit). The water is just fine. I don't swim one day then take the cover off and I have algae. I'm about done with the cover. Next year I may build my own solar heater.

I've never had this much trouble the pool before. It's coming back to bite me since I tell everyone it's easy to have a pool. :)

I'm just frustrated at this point and I'm leaving in a couple hours for a week's vacation. A neighbor is going to pour some bleach in while I'm gone. I told her if it doesn't start clearing by Monday, just leave and I'll get when I get back.

AndyT86
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
The sand is brand new.
Did you totally replace the sand? Is it possible you added too much? A couple years ago I added too much sand to my H200, resulting in sand blowing into the pool.