PDA

View Full Version : My eyes, my eyes

shadowman
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know if it is just my aging eyes but they are not very tolerant of the pool water this season. They start to sting within minutes of swimming under water. I always assumed it was PH and chlorine that were the biggest factors in eye comfort but I am beginning to wonder. Last night's numbers were CL = 5-6, PH = 7.4, TA = 120, & CYA = 30 (maybe less). I have been keeping my chlorine on the high side due to a tendency to mustard algae. From what I've read here, 6 is not a huge number so I don't know what is new this year. Anything else I should be watching?

CarlD
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
TC 5-6----what is FC? If it's less than 5-6 you have CC and need to "shock" your pool to get rid of it. CC irritates eyes.

pH 7.4--try raising pH to 7.6-7.8--higher levels are easier on your eyes.

You can also try adding salt (sea salt) to your water. Many people find mild levels of salinity to be more comfortable--eye drops and tears are salty.

I'm not sure (again, Chem_Geek and Waterbear!) but higher borate levels may also be more comfortable (You get that by adding Borax).

Finally, if nothing works, you can find a comfortable pair of swim goggles. Ultimately, they are better for your eyes than exposure from swim water. I ALWAYS use them when I swim laps, along with earplugs.

shadowman
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks Carl. Whenever I check for CC, I never have it so I usually don't bother. My PH was higher last week and it didn't seem to make any difference. I think I will go the goggle or mask route. Like my 18 year old said last night, maybe I'm just getting old. :eek:

waterbear
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
You said your CYA is 30 or less. If your FC is 5-6 that is a bit high for such a low CYa level. It could also explain why you are having trouble with mustard algae.

shadowman
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Well last year my CYA was way high (can't remember what) and I was continually having to shock to get rid of algae. This year it is down but I am still having bouts of algae. I started using pucks again in my floater to boost the CYA a little but I am afraid to let the chlorine drop below 5 because that's when I seem to get the algae. I think I'm confused about now. :(