PDA

View Full Version : Does Muriatic Acid and Water Separate

smallpooldad
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
The reason for this question is if muriatic acid is mixed with water and left for say a month or two in a peristalic pump container does it need to be stirred?

Thank you to those who respond.

waterbear
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
No it doesn't

smallpooldad
07-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Glad to here it, thank you for your extremely fast reply.

As with a medical opinion I hope others will chime in and give some form of evidence via a formula. Then my mind will truely be put to rest.

chem geek
07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
It's not a formula, but whether substances have a lower energy (actually Gibbs function aka free energy which is a combination of enthalpy or heat of reaction and entropy) being mixed (dissolved in one another at specific concentrations) vs. being separate phases. Muriatic Acid is Hydrochloric Acid in water already -- it's 31.45% Hydrochloric Acid with the rest water and does not separate. When you dilute it further in water it still does not separate. It is fully miscible. Hydrochloric Acid is what is known as a strong acid so it completely dissociates into hydrogen ions and chloride ions in water.

If you do a Google search on "hydrochloric acid solubility in water" you will find many sources that describe its high solubility.

Richard

smallpooldad
07-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Thank you both,

One less thing to worry about.

Now I'll need to spend the 4th thinking up something else, to worry about that is.

Aloha