PDA

View Full Version : Pump questions...and filter sand.

veedubtek
06-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone good with these things? I've got 3 Hayward 3/4hp super pumps sitting here, all junk. 1 supposedly has a bad starter...the one I've been using for the last 6 years now crapped out on me yesterday (just gets real hot, won't actually do anything), and the 3rd (which I thought was my good spare), starts and runs for about 5 seconds or so and kicks back off, usually tripping the circuit.

I'm fairly handy with things, so I'd certainly like to try and rob peter to pay paul, but I'm somewhat clueless where to start here without a good repair manual. Any ideas, or links to a website where I might find some decent information? Gotta get something going soon before my 16x32 IG turns into a swamp.

If not, can I replace just the motor? I tried this on my spa last year, with very bad results...the impeller just shattered trying to remove it. I kinda expect the same results here, but figured I'd ask.

And finally, best source if I have to replace the whole pump? I'm finding SP2605X7's on ebay for $235, which seems like a pretty good deal, but once again, figured I'd ask to be sure.

P.S.- Assuming one has no good local pool stores, where is a good place to buy good filter sand? I used play sand ~2 years ago, and I think my Dolphin is tired of cleaning it up off the bottom of the pool all the time...Can you get it at wal-mart by chance?

Thanks in advance!

greenacres
06-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I got my filter sand at wal mart it was outside with the mulch and landscape blocks. Sorry no help with the pump.

Poconos
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry I missed this thread but I've been occupied with other issues recently and sometimes neglect the forum. Don't know of any general information sites for motors but they are actually pretty simple devices. May try howstuffworks.com and see what's there. I'll throw in a few basics that should be true of most pump motors. There is a picture of the back end of a Hayward superpump in this thread:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4800

-- AC motors usually have two windings. Starter and running.
-- An internal thermal circuit breaker is usually present too.
-- The running winding is always connected to the AC line and the starting usually has a centrifugal switch and capacitor in series with it.
-- The starting winding is designed to provide a high starting torque to get the motor up to speed and overcome initial loads on the motor.
--When the motor is stopped the switch is closed and the capacitor in series with the starting winding provides a electrical phase shift relative to the running circuit to get the thing started in the proper direction.
-- When up to speed the switch opens and disconnects the starting winding.
-- The impedance (resistance) of the starting circuit is quite a bit lower than the running circuit thus a high inrush current.
-- Some problems and results:
-- Open switch , open capacitor, or open starting winding-- Motor will not start, low level hum, will eventually overheat, circuit breaker or internal thermal switch will eventually open.
-- Shorted starting capacitor -- Motor will not start, loud hum, circuit breaker will pop quickly if the internal thermal breaker doesn't open first.
-- Shorted turns on either winding -- Motor will probably start and run, maybe not up to speed, but smoke and smell will follow shortly.
-- Open running winding -- I think the result will be similar to a shorted starting capacitor.
These should cover most of the problems one is likely to encounter. I have also advised to keep pumps out of the weather if possible. The reason is even though they are designed for outdoor use, they will suck moisture in the form of water droplets in with the cooling air and this moisture will eventually corrode bolts and other hardware making disassembly a pain. Someone did mention some kind of cover that was at some pool store. Open at both ends as I recall for proper ventilation. Also keeps the sun off so it will run a little cooler.
Anyone please feel free to add their comments and wisdom and correct any mistakes I may have made.
Al