PDA

View Full Version : Replacing hayward CL220 with rainbow 300

poolrescue30
06-23-2008, 07:01 AM
I am on my THIRD Hayward CL220 offline chlorinator in 5 years , the lids just stop working after a year or so , and it's not worth buying just a new lid.The O ring gets coroded m the threads get full of dirt.is anyone familiar with the Pentair/Rainbow 300 offline , will it be able to get installed in the same holes made in my pvc pipe as the CL220 ?? Are the Rainbow's any better or more durable than the Hayward's ??
THANKS

Sumo1
06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
We've got 4 Rainbow chlorinators on our church pool (different model) and all of them are several years old. We've had to replace o-rings and some of the tubing that feeds the system. Is there a reason you can't just replace the o-rings for your Hayward?

Hal

aylad
06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I have the Rainbow, and am in my 7th season with it. I've replaced the o-ring one time, and that's it, maintainence wise. My pool stays open year-round. Although I only use trichlor pucks during the swim season until my CYA gets where I want it, the rest of the time when it's empty I set the dial at "wide open" to flush it and keep the lines from clogging. So far, (knocking on wood), it's been no trouble at all.

Janet

markphin
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I had a Hayward for 4 years. It is faulty from the factory in the design of the o ring on the ring of the lid. every time you open and close the lid the o-ring streches until it streches to the point of not sealing. i would go through two per season. I kept taking them back to Leslie's and claiming they were faulty. so i never paid for them, but just got fed up. I to bought a rainbow 300 two seasons ago and it works great. Use the 1" pucks though, they seem to disolve better than the 3".

poolrescue30
06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
MARKPHIN,

Did the Rainbow 300 use the same "tap holes" in the PVC pipe as the hayward did ?? I just want to know if it's gonna be a quick switch or a pain to install.
THANKS

markphin
06-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I memory serves, yes they were the same.