PDA

View Full Version : New pool chlorine questions

chili
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi,
We had a 22k ig vinyl pool put in last year. The pool dealer installed a Nature 2. I read in the tips section (#2) not to use the grocery store chemicals with this system. Are there specific chemicals that I should not use, or should I just remove the Nature 2 cartridge all together? I only have a test strip kit and it shows that my Cl & cya levels are very low. I was going to add bleach but dont want to screw it up.

Thanks

Kevin

KurtV
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I think most of the smart folks here would advise you to test your water either with a drop-based test kit (like Ben's or the 5-way kit that may be available at Wal-Mart or a Taylor K-2005 or K-2006) or at a a pool store (don't buy anything there yet) and then post those results (Free chlorine, combined chlorine, pH, calcium hardness, total alkalinity, and CYA or cyanuric acid). People will be very willing to help you here once you've done that.

All that said, it's very likely that those same people will advise you to remove the cartrdige from your Nature2 unit so as to insure that you won't introduce any (more) copper or anything else into your pool water.

Cheers,
kv

chili
04-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok I got a drop based kit while I am waiting for my PS234 and here are my results
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0 ?
pH 7.5
TA 80-90
CYA my kit either does not test this or I dont know how to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Kevin

duraleigh
04-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for the numbers...Kurt's being modest...his advice is very solid.

Get your CYA tested at the pool store 'til the kit comes in. Buy enough CYA there or HD/Lowes to bring your ppm up to around 30 or so......it may take several days to become effective.

While you're waiting for the CYA to kick in (and the kit), I would recommend you put in 4 gallons of bleach this evening. Without CYA the Chlorine will quickly disappear in the daytime.

Post back your CYA number as soon as you can and we'll get you going on adding some more bleach. I'm reluctant to take you any further than your initial dose of Cl 'til we find out if you've got any CYA in there....(I doubt it)

How does your water look?

I would remove the Nature2 cartridge from the system...too much cost...too little results, if any. :)

donfranko
04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
I was also talked into buying a Nature 2 from my builder. It is just another way for them to make money if you use them to open your pool. I asked a similar question last year. Replies were that Nature 2 did so little switching to bleach and store chems was not a problem. It adds a negligible amt of copper if any. I switched and no problems. I also removed the cartridge a few weeks later which is probably your best bet.

Now if I can just figure how to re-plumb the pipes and can remove the canister and sell it on e-bay!

chili
04-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Thank you
I will put some bleach in and remove the N2 cartridge and i will post as soon as I get CYA #s
the installer added some when he opened it so there may be some in there

Thanks again

chili
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
And to answer your question the water looks great
but it is still really cold

There are smart sticks in the skimmer but they are dissolving really really slowly

maybe because of the temperature thanks
Kevin

duraleigh
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi, Kevin,

I saw your new thread you started. It's helpful to stay with the original thread so folks can follow your progress better.

Okay, 0 CYA means you need some :) . I'd recommend putting in enough to get to 30ppm...5 or 6 lbs should do it. Do not expect it to show up on a test for 4-7 days. Put it in as soon as you can.

That 4 gallons of bleach will "shock" your pool and probably disappear the next day. After that, I'd bring my Cl level up to about 3-5ppm each evening. That level will start to hold as your CYA kicks in. After that, you're good to go. (especially if you "kick out" that cartridge!!:D :D )

chili
04-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the info, i just thought i might be in the wrong thread