PDA

View Full Version : How to attach skimmer hose.

rayh78
06-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I use KAF-Flex brand flexable pvc hose with stainless hose clamps for everything besides from skimmer to pump. Did not really trust slovent welding with this pipe but reading on this forum it seems that others consider it dependable.
Do have a couple of other questions.
18 ft round AG pool with a 1 HP hayward inground pump. Had to go with an inground pump to get the suction I was used to with a Jacauzzi 1 hp AG pump. Tried a 1 HP AG hayward but could feel it was about 1/3 in suction power by hand and especially when I vac.

1. This new pump makes a little vibrabtion noise since it is bolted to the plastic support base on my Jacuzzi sand filter. And dose not hold real good in the plastic so bolts come loose and get some vibration noise. Do I even have to have the pump mounted or bolted down? I use the flex to sand filter so dont have to worry about small vibration will loosen pipe.

2. I have to use the cheap gray pipe that you buy in sections to go to the Lomart brand skimmer. If I try the PVC hose it will not clamp tight enough on a Lomart brand skimmer. Its listed for 1 1/2" pipe but easy to see it is actually a little smaller barb on the skimmer so thats the problem. I have even tried to use 2 hose clamps and even my heat gun to heat pipe a little just before clamping. But always got a little leak so had to switch this pipe back.
Thanks for Any suggestions or comments

CarlD
06-21-2008, 07:03 AM
I use KAF-Flex brand flexable pvc hose with stainless hose clamps for everything besides from skimmer to pump. Did not really trust slovent welding with this pipe but reading on this forum it seems that others consider it dependable.

You're making yourself trouble. Flexible PVC designed for gluing is a poor candidate for internal barbed/unbarbed fittings and hose clamps. You always need at least 2 clamps and sometimes 3 to handle the pressure--and it may STILL leak. When my pool was installed, the plumbing job was all this way and they were barely out of the driveway and it was leaking! I spent that afternoon, and about $50 (at the time) replacing and gluing, with far better results.

Properly applied Schedule 40 fittings when the Flex is properly cleaned and primed are no different when applied to hard PVC. I do like to use the blue glue that the "better" pool stores sell ("better" means the staff is more knowledgable, especially about hardware). They say the blue glue is more flexible--but I don't know if that's just PS hype, but at worst it's just as good as Home Depot glue. I have a number of runs of Flex and all with glued fittings, including quick releases and ball valves.

Most of the "better" pool stores sell Sched 40 fittings in 1.25, 1.50 and 2" diameters--1.50" seems to be what most people use.

The hardest thing about Flex is getting a clean, even cut--Hard PVC cuts easily with a hacksaw or Sawzall, but the Flex takes longer and requires a good razor/mat knife with a fresh blade.

Do have a couple of other questions.
18 ft round AG pool with a 1 HP hayward inground pump. Had to go with an inground pump to get the suction I was used to with a Jacauzzi 1 hp AG pump. Tried a 1 HP AG hayward but could feel it was about 1/3 in suction power by hand and especially when I vac.

1. This new pump makes a little vibrabtion noise since it is bolted to the plastic support base on my Jacuzzi sand filter. And dose not hold real good in the plastic so bolts come loose and get some vibration noise. Do I even have to have the pump mounted or bolted down? I use the flex to sand filter so dont have to worry about small vibration will loosen pipe.

I have a similar set-up that I've posted here before. My pump simply sits on a paver, the filter on another paver, and there's a hard + Flex connection between them. I have no vibration problems consequently. It's even an IG pump for an AG pool--a Hayward 1hp 2 speed Superpump. I wanted the smallest 2 speed you could get and, at the time, this was it. There's actually a 3/4 2speed full-rated by another manufacturer, but I've forgotten which one, but it was a name brand--and I'd have no misgivings about recommending it.

2. I have to use the cheap gray pipe that you buy in sections to go to the Lomart brand skimmer. If I try the PVC hose it will not clamp tight enough on a Lomart brand skimmer. Its listed for 1 1/2" pipe but easy to see it is actually a little smaller barb on the skimmer so thats the problem. I have even tried to use 2 hose clamps and even my heat gun to heat pipe a little just before clamping. But always got a little leak so had to switch this pipe back.
Thanks for Any suggestions or comments

Other than finding a Schedule 40 fitting that fits? Isn't there a threaded connection on the skimmer or is it strictly an internal fitting? There's clear PVC that's designed for clamping and is heavier than the grey stuff. Clamp it to the skimmer and clamp an internal barbed/non-barbed threaded fitting to the other end--and you can connect it to a threaded fitting on the Flex. Better still, put a ball valve with threaded fittings between it. You can shut off the skimmer in a moment, and it's a quick-connect as well.

Here's that old but still current pic of my setup. The horizontal is hard PVC, but the vertical is Flex. Notice the pump and filter aren't connected at the base and every fitting is glued-on Schedule 40. It's been going 6 years now.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dashmanc/pool/Filter05.jpg

rayh78
06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Had tried the clear but that was the same. I may try building up the internal barb with selfsealing tape.
Looking at yours I wish I also had got the same 2 speed pump but would have needed to run 220 volt and changed my timer
thanks