PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Age

mohawk
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I have different chemicals-all in dry form-that I received from the pool store when we purchased our pool. Most have never been used and was wondering how long dry chemicals last? Some are pucks others are the usual things you get from the pool store with a new pool. I was thinking of putting them in my garage sale if they're still good. Thanks, Denise

aylad
06-19-2008, 12:23 PM
The pucks will be okay as long as they have not been exposed to moisture--if there's any indication of bubbling or bowing on the lid of the container, then they've gotten moist and have begun releasing gas.

If the other stuff is less than a year or so old, it's probably okay....I'd buy it if it were still sealed, if I needed it...at garage sale prices, if only half were still effective it's still cheaper than retail!

Janet

mohawk
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
GREAT! Extra money for me. Denise :D

Water_man
06-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I have different chemicals-all in dry form-that I received from the pool store when we purchased our pool. Most have never been used and was wondering how long dry chemicals last? Some are pucks others are the usual things you get from the pool store with a new pool. I was thinking of putting them in my garage sale if they're still good. Thanks, Denise

If these are kept dry and sealed they will be good indefinitely:

Sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, dry acid, calcium chloride, calcium Hypo, tri-chlor pucks.

I wouldn't store chemicals in the garage. If they spill or mix you're in trouble.

BTW, did they sell you POPP? :D

mohawk
06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
What is POPP?

Water_man
06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
What is POPP?

LOL...
This is the most important ingredient that pool supply houses can't sell you:
Pool Owner's Patience and Persistence.