PDA

View Full Version : Clorox outdoors

minermom
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I hope someone can help me. I used the Clorox outdoors in my pool thinking it would be stronger, so I would need less. Anyway, now I have alot of foam in the pool. Is there anything I can do to remove the foam? I haven't actually tested the water yet (I'm stupid, I know). I'm going to and I'll post the numbers.
Thanks
Kerrie:(

CarlD
06-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Please do not create duplicate threads. I have removed the other one.

If you created it inadvertently, please leave a post in it asking us to delete it.

Thank you!

TM

waterbear
06-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Hopefully, a lot of shocking will eventually break down the detergent in the Clorox Outdoor Bleach Cleaner. The word cleaner should have tipped you off that it's not plain bleach (which is the ONLY thing you should use in your pool!)

minermom
06-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry about the duplicate post, my computer is slow and I didn't realize it posted twice.
I checked my numbers this morning and my CL was way above 5 (I only have a Walmart kit) and my PH was about 7.2. My TA was about 170.
When you said to shock it, do you mean add more bleach? My kit didn't have a CYA, I realize I need one that does. I added some stabilizer because we had to drain the pool for repairs (another nightmare story) and I figured that there wasn't any in the water.
Thanks for any help. To sound so simple, I seem to have made a big mess out of things,
Kerrie

aylad
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
To shock it, add more bleach to get the chlorine up, but how high it needs to be is determined by your CYA level. Can you get the pool store to test for CYA, or get the WalMart $15 5-way kit that has the CYA test in it and post your CYA level?

Janet

minermom
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks for your help.
I have used the CYA part of my Wal-mart kit and can't find out how to refill. I'm heading to the pool store after work, so I will post the results.
From my kit this am my CL was 0 and PH about 7.3.
I'll post the pool store numbers tonight.
Thanks agian,
Kerrie

aylad
06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Those Wal-Mart kits used to have a 1-800 phone number for hth and they would supply you with free refills if you call. Don't know if they still do anymore, but you can also get refills at the pool store or online--the CYA reagent is the same across the board. I buy it in a 16 oz container online from Taylor.

Janet

minermom
06-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info about the CYA. I'm learning so much.
The numbers from the pool store are:
ph - 7.2
ta - 90
cya - 0
tc - 0
fc - 0
(I've learned the other numbers aren't important since I have a vinyl pool, 18 x 38 w/deep end).
The chlorine was way above 5 yesterday morning and the ph is about the same.
Thanks sooo much for the help.
Kerrie

Watermom
06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Until you get some cya in there, you're not going to be able to keep any chlorine in your pool. You can buy some cya (also called cyanuric acid, isocyanuric acid, stabilizer or conditioner) at a pool store and add enough per package directions to get to an intial reading of about 30-35. It takes awhile to dissolve so after you add it, wait a week before testing for it or adding more or else you may end up with more in there than you want. You can either add it slowly to your skimmer while the pump is running or put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet or set the sock in the skimmer. (If you do add it directly to the skimmer, like I do, do not backwash until it dissolves or else you will just be throwing it right out.)

Until you begin to get a cya reading, you'll probably need to test your pool at least twice per day and each time add bleach. After you get your pool cleared and get some cya in there, you'll be able to just test it and dose it in the evenings.

I would also suggest raising your ph a little with some borax.

minermom
06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for your help.
Is there somewhere on the forum that tells me how much Borax to add and how much it will raise the numbers? (and the bleach). (I know I've seen it somewhere but I can't seem to find it again.:o ) I know on the back of the big bag of Baking Soda it tells the numbers, and on the stabilizer it tells, but the Borax I'm not sure about.
Thanks again so much,
Kerrie

aylad
06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Here's the bleach calculator you've probably seen before..

http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

There's not going to be a rule of thumb for the Borax to raise pH, though--how much you have to add to raise your pH by a given amount will depend on your alk level--the lower the alk level, the easier the pH is to move.

Janet

minermom
06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your help.
My alk level is about 170, and my ph is about 7.2 still.
Should I start with like a cup full or a box?
Thanks again,
Kerrie