PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch from sand to D.E.

Number6
06-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Hello, all.

I have an IG, 32,000 gal., vinyl lined with an Aquarite SWG. I use the BBB method and I LOVE it!

I would like to kick the old Jacuzzi Laser 250 and go with a D.E. filter. The D.E. seems to be easier to maintain and performs MUCH better than sand.

I have a few models picked out however, would someone please explain how to figure the "total head" pressure and how I can match my exisiting pump (Hayward 2605X7, 3/4 hp) to an appropriate sized D.E. filter? Perhaps a 36 or 48 sq. ft.?

Thank you.
This forum is my sole source of pool information and it has NEVER let me down!

thepoolman1
06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Think of your filter as the vacuum cleaner bag, the larger the bag the more dirt it will hold before clogging and having to be emptied or replaced. A larger filter actually reduces "head" and allows more water to flow for a longer period of time. Longer filtration cycles = less work. A 48 or even 60 sq. ft. filter would be a good choice. Pentair makes 80 and 100 sq. ft. models that use modular cartridge-type "grids" that would work very well. They are a stronger material than that used in most D.E. filters and seem to clean much better when it is time.

JohnT
06-17-2008, 06:39 AM
The D.E. seems to be easier to maintain and performs MUCH better than sand.

I think you are misinformed about DE being easier to maintain. DE filters aren't hard to maintain, but there is more work there than a sand filter.

CarlD
06-17-2008, 07:19 AM
There are two things you can do to greatly improve the performance of your sand filter:

1) Add a little DE to it--this is well-covered here. I have a 10# box of DE that cost $8 and I've been using it since late in the season of 2005--very, very cheap for noticable improvement.

2) Skimmer socks. These idiotically simple little miracles pick up SO much junk that never even makes it into your filter are cheap, too. A pack is between $5 and $10 and has 3 to 5, depending on the brand. Since each lasts me a month (rinsing them every day) a pack is good for the summer. They are CRITICAL to me during pollen season, which, thankfully, is nearly over.

The third thing is, of course, to have a larger filter than the "experts" (pool stores and pool dealers) recommend, and a smaller pump, too. Rather than stressing the filter with flow at or above its limit, you run it where it can "loaf" and do a better job. I've long noticed that my 200# sand filter seems to filter better on low speed than on high (And 2 speed pumps are another joy!). And NO dealer would ever recommend a 1 hp Hayward Superpump for a 20000 gallon A/G pool ("it's an IG pump!"--DUHHHHHHH!!!!). Yet I'm into my 6th season with it and the ONLY problem is the gold on the motor has faded in the sun to silver.

But I called Hayward before I bought them (and, no, they don't have a joint base) and they assured me the pump was NOT too big for the filter and it was a good match. Which it has been.

OTOH, my dad ran a DE filter for a zillion years and loved it. He didn't consider it high-maintenance, but he did have one with a bump-handle. I don't know what the experienced ones here think of bump handles but it sure seems to stretch out the time between backwashes. The ONE big maintenance item is cleaning the screens at the end of the season--you can do it yourself or pay your pool store to soak 'em in acid for you. Plus, an empty DE filter can go back into the celler for the winter--as Dad's did. A filter with 200# of sand doesn't move! (so I drain it and cover it).

Number6
06-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Thank you, Poolman1, John T and Carl D.

As always, this forum is a fabulous source of information.

When I was refering to "seems to be easier to maintain", I meant that it appears easier to service the D.E. filter/tank than to take off the valve head, cover the standpipe, remove from or dump sand into the old filter.

I will consider all of your suggestions, though.

Wish me luck.

Again, thankyou.

CarlD
06-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Thank you, Poolman1, John T and Carl D.

As always, this forum is a fabulous source of information.

When I was refering to "seems to be easier to maintain", I meant that it appears easier to service the D.E. filter/tank than to take off the valve head, cover the standpipe, remove from or dump sand into the old filter.

I will consider all of your suggestions, though.

Wish me luck.

Again, thankyou.

Haven't dumped the sand yet and this is the 6th season so far--haven't moved the filter much either in those years!

gordyjamz
06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
For ease of maintenance, you also may want to look into cartridge filters, also. I replaced a sand filter 2 years ago with a Hayward Xtream, and love it. Rinsing the element only takes a few minutes with a hose. And, depending on the amount of debris in your pool, it only has to be cleaned a few times a season. I think the only drawback is with the initial setup, you can't vacuum to waste. But, all I did was install a pvc splitter valve between the pump and filter.

CarlD
06-20-2008, 09:47 PM
For ease of maintenance, you also may want to look into cartridge filters, also. I replaced a sand filter 2 years ago with a Hayward Xtream, and love it. Rinsing the element only takes a few minutes with a hose. And, depending on the amount of debris in your pool, it only has to be cleaned a few times a season. I think the only drawback is with the initial setup, you can't vacuum to waste. But, all I did was install a pvc splitter valve between the pump and filter.

Some people love carts (like you), many hate them, finding the ONLY way to get them clean gets you soaking wet.

There is a new hose-mounted brush that may help, but we haven't gotten feedback on it yet.

There are also some AMAZING ideas to clean them that seem to work--a search of the forum should find them.