PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Salt!

The Pool Newbie
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow... I filled my 26,400gal pool and before I put the salt in I set the salt calibration to 3000PPM on my Autopilot SC-48... thinking this was the target and not the current level... duh... Sooooo, I then added about 600lbs of granular salt and thinking this should about do it I reset the salt calibration to 3000PPM... I then tested the water using Aquacheck strips today (when it is all you have) at both ends of the pool at about a foot deep and low and behold both readings were identical... 4160PPM!!! So I took the sample to the pool store and they came up with 4100PPM... Wow again... Darn close. So now I have a pump removing water and another putting freshwater in... Guess I will do that awhile and then check again tomorrow! This pool started at about 0ppm tap water, or at least I thought... and the measurements calculate at least a 26,400gal pool... Can't believe 600lbs had me SO far off the mark...

Poolsean
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
hmmm, it's hard for the salt concentration to be wrong. What are the dimensions of your pool? Length x width x average depth x 7.5 = gallons. But you have to consider the slope of the pool floor, the transition from the floor to wall, shallow points and any curves around the corners of the pool. These all take away from the total volume.
Unless you've been in the pool and the water tastes too salty, I wouldn't take any water out. The Pool Pilot will continue to work fine. The salt concentration will cause any corrosive damage either.
Really, you don't need to replace water unless it is undesirable to the taste.