PDA

View Full Version : Sta-Rite Pump / A. O. Smith motor stopped

Longgrove
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
My Sta-Rite MAX-E-GLAS II just died (about 6 years old). Could fixing it be as simple as replacing the capacitor on top of the motor? Background: The motor wouldn't start at pool opening this year. But, I was able to get it started after giving the impeller a spin. A friend suggested replacing the startup capacitor to solve the problem (I decided to wait). Now, a month later, the pump shuts down (I heard it, it just clicked like someone had turned it off). I tried to restart it but no luck this time. I'm pretty sure the thermal shutoff protection was engaged. So after it cooled down, I tried to restart it again... no luck, just the trying-to-start "hum" I had at opening. That's when I opened the top capacitor compartment and found a very dirty (tar/oil) capacitor with very corroded terminals (they actually fell apart when I tried to disconnect them). The first 1/2 inch of wire insulation is burnt too. I also noted another capacitor in the compartment at the back of the motor. So I'm wondering, since it appears that the shut down was due to motor overheating, does the capacitor on top of the motor play any role in the motor's "running" function... and why two capacitors? I understand the role of a capacitor at startup, but wasn't sure if it helped the motor under load... and thus replacing it might solve my problem. Repair or replace the whole motor???? Any suggestions??

mas985
06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a capacitor start/capacitor run (CSCR) motor. These are a bit more efficient than the capacity start/induction run (CSIR) motors. The capacitors are usually the culprit for motor failures and the likely cause of your problem as well. I would try replacing one or even both of the capacitors as it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

Longgrove
06-11-2008, 01:34 AM
You're right. It was the "run" capacitor. I was able to track down the specs at A.O. Smith (motor manufacturer) and find an equivalent "run" capacitor (same volts, MFD, and physical size to fit under cover) at Grainger for $9.52. Had to add clips and some wire ... but all is good. The pump started right up. It seems to be running quieter as well.