PDA

View Full Version : DE Leaking into pool???

Karen4120
06-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I have a DE filter and we noticed some DE around the pool. After vac. it up, it comes back. Dh took the filter apart and inspected the DE grids and they do not look torn or worn. We had a similiar problem last year and it was due to a hole in one of the DE grids and we replaced it. The filter itself is less than 5 years old. We did notice that when we opened the tank, all the DE was on the bottom and a little DE on the grids. Is this suppose to be like this??

Thanks for any info.

Karen

bcrumb
06-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I am no expert by any stretch, but make sure you are not putting too much DE in. It can be difficutl to measure by the pound. Look on the box, it tells you how much makes a pound. Also, maybe you have air trapped in the upper part of your filter and there was too much DE to stick to the bottom. I am sure others will provide better answers.
Bc

denanbob
06-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Are you only having this problem shortly after adding new DE? We are suppose to add 4 lbs. of DE at start-up (we have a measuring cup that is specifically for DE), but it always seems to be a little too much because for a week or so afterwards, we get DE settling on the bottom of the pool. I will vac it up and it will return, but less will be there. We keep this up until it's all gone. Hopefully this may be what is happening with you. I probably should put only 3.5 lbs. in next time, but I'm always afraid I may cause more damage if I put too little in. This "cycle" happens everytime we squirt off the filter grids and put new DE in.

waste
06-11-2008, 05:50 PM
If it only shows up after adding more and lessens with each vacuuming, I'd take a look at the multiport, you may have a little water bypassing the spider gasket - most goes into the filter, but some gets back into the pool.