PDA

View Full Version : Any clever alternatives to isolation valves?

prh129
04-27-2006, 03:36 PM
My cartridge filter setup did not come with isolation valves. I was going to get some to make cleaning and servicing easier but I am concerned my young son will one day turn them off without me knowing.

Does anyone have any alternatives to isolating the filter? A friend of mine told me he uses rags to block the openings in the skimmer and return. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Service Guy
04-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, you could always just teach your son not to touch the pool equipment....

Seriously, most of the upper end valves made today have locking knobs on them to prevent them from being turned by "little hands", etc. Buy valves made by Compool or Jandy and that should eliminate your concern.

Poolsean
04-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Spring loaded or gravity check valves.

imfignewton
04-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Install the Jandy or Compool valve then remove the handle and store in another location or fence in the equipment with a locking gate.

b2001
04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
My local pool store had a rubber plug to put in the skimmer to stop it up and a threaded cover to screw into my inlet to the pool to block it - both were reasonable cheap ...

prh129
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of a rubber stopper in the skimmer and a check valve on the return line.

Peter

cleancloths
05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
You got some good answers, but seriously you want to get your son to respect the pool. Don't know how old he is, but just two minutes ago I heard on the news about a pair of 4 years old twins that just drowned today at the family pool. The pool was still covered, but they found a way under the cover. Kids need to be tought to respect a pool which means don't go near it without supervision and don't touch the mechanical equipment. That is the best way to prevent unfortunate situations.

prh129
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
He's 4 years old and I agree with you about teaching respect. I realize though that at that age, the liklihood of him to a) remember and b) use self-control to not do something he isn't supposed to do is not very good so in my mind, the best way to avoid an unfortunate situation is to eliminate the possibility altogether. In this case, it is just as easy (and probably cheaper) to put in a check valve and use a rubber stopper than to install valves especially since I am using flexible hose.

That's very sad about the kids that drowned.

salinda
05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Just curious why you need to isolate the filter for cleaning? Is this an AG pool thing that I don't need to understand? I have a large IG pool with a Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter and I just release pressure via the pressure relief valve before opening the can.