PDA

View Full Version : Starting off just like I left last season :(

Pages : [1] 2

scootchu
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
We opened our 27' AG pool about a week ago and several problems plague me.
We had cloudy water last year almost all season. One day it would be clear and we thought we were doing okay only to have it cloud up again. That's last year, but now I am starting to wonder if we are going down the same road.

First my numbers:
PH - 7.2
CC - >20
FC - 10
Alk - 120
CYA - 80

The PH and Alk were low, very low prior to yesterday and I am afraid that I may have overshot the Alk by not being patient. In any case the pool water is a light green and cloudy. The pump has been running 24/7 for a week and little improvement has occurred. The water was coffee colored when we opened it and it had leaves and acorns at the bottom.

In our defense we were in the middle of building an addition on our home and we were a bit hasty covering it at the end of the season.

We have had the pool 10 years and I have changed the sand once.
I am starting to wonder if the filter is working right and adding to the problem. The filter has great flow, but after a few hours the flow dramatically slows. I backwash and then rinse and it's good for a while longer.

What I wind up doing when problems like this occur is to most likely start to chase my tail so I am asking for some troubleshooting steps or an angle of attack to find out if it's the chemistry, mechanical or a combination of the two.

Why would me flow reduce like this? I haven't opened the filter yet to see what kind of crap I will find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Watermom
06-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Your chlorine numbers can't be right. I seriously doubt that you have a CC reading greater than 20. Also, since you have a cya reading of 80, you should be shocking your pool up to 20 (FC that is). I'm not sure if you did shock to 20 and just mistakenly listed the 20 as your CC reading or if you shocked up to 10 or what. Retest and repost. What type of test kit are you using?

I also wonder what you are using for your source of bleach and also what your calcium hardness reading is. You shouldn't need to change your sand. My sand is on its 8th season, I think Al's is on his 13th or so season and Carl has had his sand for a good many years as well. I doubt the sand is your problem. If your pool is green, then you are probably just filtering out a lot of stuff that is clogging the filter. That means it is doing its job. This spring when I was opening my pool, the water wasn't green but had some debris, dirt, pollen in it and my filter pressure was rising frequently. We had to do a quick backwash fairly often and then it would be fine for a bit and then we would do it again. Somebody else may have something else to add about your filter.

Hang in there. We'll help you get it clear.

scootchu
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Your chlorine numbers can't be right. I seriously doubt that you have a CC reading greater than 20. Also, since you have a cya reading of 80, you should be shocking your pool up to 20 (FC that is). I'm not sure if you did shock to 20 and just mistakenly listed the 20 as your CC reading or if you shocked up to 10 or what. Retest and repost. What type of test kit are you using?

I also wonder what you are using for your source of bleach and also what your calcium hardness reading is. You shouldn't need to change your sand. My sand is on its 8th season, I think Al's is on his 13th or so season and Carl has had his sand for a good many years as well. I doubt the sand is your problem. If your pool is green, then you are probably just filtering out a lot of stuff that is clogging the filter. That means it is doing its job. This spring when I was opening my pool, the water wasn't green but had some debris, dirt, pollen in it and my filter pressure was rising frequently. We had to do a quick backwash fairly often and then it would be fine for a bit and then we would do it again. Somebody else may have something else to add about your filter.

Hang in there. We'll help you get it clear.

I respect your opinion and I also think I flipped the CC and FC, in fact on my paper I have
CC-10
FC-20

The kit is a Poolmaster Basic 4 Test Kit and I am also using test strips for the CYA and the off the 3.0 scale of the kit.

The Calcium reading from what I can rememeber is very low. I will re-check when I go home.

I really should bite the bullet and buy a Taylor kit I suppose, but it would have to be online since our pool stores kit choices stink.

In any case I am concerned with the filter. When I say the flow goes down, I am serious, really drops to about 1/3 of what it was. My guage, as with all guages I have had doesn't work anymore, so back pressure cannot be measured.

When I backwash I get a bit of brown water, but not the green smelly stuff I was always used to.

I feel like a complete novice at this point. I used to be the poolmaster and now... just it's humble servant. I need to learn to be patient, BUT the problem with that is I never know if I am waiting for a turnaround or just waiting for things to get worse. If I could get a glimpse of the future and if I am headed in the right direction I would be as patient as could be. LOL

Whoops forgot. I am using Liquid Bleach, Clorox, and a couple of pucks in the skimmer right now.

Watermom
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
You do need to invest in a good test kit. Definitely worth the money. While you are fighting this, test at least 2 and 3 is better times per day and each time, add enough bleach to get back up to 20. Try to sustain the high reading and not let it yo-yo up and down.

I still don't think your numbers are right, though. I have never seen a CC reading of 10. Retest and repost.

You aren't filling from a well, are you?

scootchu
06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
You do need to invest in a good test kit. Definitely worth the money. While you are fighting this, test at least 2 and 3 is better times per day and each time, add enough bleach to get back up to 20. Try to sustain the high reading and not let it yo-yo up and down.

I still don't think your numbers are right, though. I have never seen a CC reading of 10. Retest and repost.

You aren't filling from a well, are you?

The water is half city and half well, refilled last year after a liner replacement. But that was a while ago and city water has been used to top it off, why?

Watermom
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Sometimes well water has metals in it and thus can cause greenish tint to the water.

scootchu
06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Well good thing you are paying attention because I'm not.

I checked my water again today.

FC >10
TC >10

I was looking at the 20 for Bromine on the test strip chart
PH is around 7.2-7.4
ALK is around 130

I don't have a Calcium test, just a hardness test in which I get low

I have just about got all the acorns out. It's tough when you cannot see them.
The Robo-Kleen has been running and bringing up pollen and crud.

I put a stocking on the skimmer basket which has had to be cleaned twice in 2 hours.

I put another 3/4 gallon of bleach in.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Watermom
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
No problem. By the way, the hardness test is the calcium hardness. Low is fine for a vinyl pool despite what some pool stores will tell you.

scootchu
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I just ordered the Taylor 2006 kit today. Hopefully it will help me get a hold of things a little easier.

stma
06-04-2008, 06:29 AM
WaterMom: But at what point do you start considaring the filter/sand as the culprit ??/ I'm on day 11, and 23 gallons of bleach later. i have seen zero change in my pool water...still green and cloudy..so much to the point I have not vacuumed yet....brushing, yes...but I can't see past 18 inches from the top....
I'm wondering if the WalMart sand I bought (which was 1/2 the price of ANYone else locally) is actually my problem ?? (the old saying, "You Get What You pay For" is starting to ring true for me ???

scootchu
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
When did you install your new sand? If it's new I do know that it's not as efficient as older dirtier sand at removing particles.

In my world I have added a total of 12.5 gallons of bleach over the last 2 days. The filter is on 24/7 and the robot is running too.

I still have cloudy green water, but I can now see faint image of the yellow robot at the bottom.

The filter isn't getting bogged down anymore and the skimmer stocking really helps with the little stuff.

On avg what kind of timeline can I expect to see improvement and more of the bottom?

It's a 17,000 gallon 48" pool.

Watermom
06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
There isn't a timeline. Every pool will be different. Just keep hammering it with bleach and maintain a consistent shock level without letting it fall and it will clear. I'm still wondering if you could be having any metal problems since you say you partially fill with well water. It wouldn't hurt to have a pool store check for metals in the water.

Watermom
06-04-2008, 09:18 AM
WaterMom: But at what point do you start considaring the filter/sand as the culprit ??/ I'm on day 11, and 23 gallons of bleach later. i have seen zero change in my pool water...still green and cloudy..so much to the point I have not vacuumed yet....brushing, yes...but I can't see past 18 inches from the top....
I'm wondering if the WalMart sand I bought (which was 1/2 the price of ANYone else locally) is actually my problem ?? (the old saying, "You Get What You pay For" is starting to ring true for me ???

stma --- It is usually best not to jump into the middle of another thread because it gets complicated trying to help two people at once. I just replied to you in your other thread about posting a current set of water testing results. (FC, CC, alk, ph, cya). Repost that info on the other thread and also over there tell us if you bought pool sand or play sand. I doubt it is your sand. Let's continue on the other thread. Thanks.

scootchu
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
There isn't a timeline. Every pool will be different. Just keep hammering it with bleach and maintain a consistent shock level without letting it fall and it will clear. I'm still wondering if you could be having any metal problems since you say you partially fill with well water. It wouldn't hurt to have a pool store check for metals in the water.

It was from my neighbor's well and they had no issues with their pool with 100% of the water from their well and I know every pool is different, but I tend to think it's okay.

If I can I will take a sample to the pool store and have it checked.

Thanks again!

mbar
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I am not sure you have a metas problem. What I see is that you need to really concentrate on getting the pool cleaned first. With a cya of 80 you must keep your chlorine at 20 as often as possible. I would take it as high as 30, this way it will not get below 20 before you get to check it again. You must vacuum or keep your pool cleaner going everyday. You also have to brush the sides to make sure that all of the algae is getting hit hard with bleach. I think that you were battling cloudy water last year because your chlorine was not kept high enough for your cya. If you don't kill all of the algae, it takes hold, and with the continued use of "almost enough" chlorine, the water does not turn green, but it does not get that crystal clear either. While I am not sure there is not anything wrong with your filter, it seems to me to be a chlorine problem at the moment. You can go through a lot of chlorine when you open to a dirty pool. The brown you are describing may be coming from dirt that worked it's way into your pool from your current construction. A quick way to find out if the sides of the pool are stained from organics or metals is to get some vitamin C tablets, crush them up and put them in a sock and rub on the vinyl liner where you can see if it changes color. If it does, then it is metals and I can tell you what to do. My opinion is to get the water cleaned up first, then worry about the stains. It took my pool over a week this year of adding so much bleach that I lost count for the water to look clean and see the bottom. When there is so much in it on opening, then there may be some nasty organics that need a lot of chlorine to kill it. You will know that all is dead when the chlorine holds overnight. Keep the filter running 24/7 for now. Hope this helps, and keep us posted:)

scootchu
06-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I added about 4 gallons of bleach when I got home. My PH went up, way up around 8. I guess I overshot the borax the other day. I added a little acid and I will wait.

The robot is still going and picking up slime and crud off the bottom. I backwashed and got the green color I was used to. The stocking is still doing it's job, but not filling anywhere near what it was.

I have a sump in the pool on the other side close to the bottom and shooting the water it pumps into the skimmer. I guess I just have to wait.

I have a question as to how you tell when your Chlorine level is at 20 or even 30. Can you tell with a better test kit?

stma
06-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Concerning your PH bounce: HOLD OFF ON THE ACIDE!!! High Chlorine levels will affect the PH reading indicator....(I just found that out today ,page 11 in the Taylor manual)...If and when the CL levels go down, test the PH again....it will be substantially lower !!....

scootchu
06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Concerning your PH bounce: HOLD OFF ON THE ACIDE!!! High Chlorine levels will affect the PH reading indicator....(I just found that out today ,page 11 in the Taylor manual)...If and when the CL levels go down, test the PH again....it will be substantially lower !!....

Thanks for the tip.

It rained hard last night so I added another gallon of bleach before I went to bed. I added another 3 gallons of this morning. I am starting to wonder how much bleach it's going to take. I have purchased 21 1.4 gallon jugs of it in the last 3 days and before that about 10 gallon jugs from Big Lots. My recycling guy is going to have a fit.

The pool is still light green, but it is starting to show signs of improvement. It is a bit easier to see the robot or at least the color of the robot. LOL Also the water is cleaner, with less suspended crud thanks to the skimmer sock.

The robot brought up a small pile of acrorns last night and hasn't gotten stuck, which it does when it would hit acorns. It does bring up about 5 pounds of goop each time. I will have to give the poor thing a medal for going over and above it's job description.

If I can get there I will take a sample to the pool store today.

Should I keep the sump pump running and bringing water from the opposite side of the pool to the skimmer??

stma
06-05-2008, 08:25 PM
First up: Big Lots bleach (which I bought 20 gallons of the other day) is no more than 3%....if its the Sno-EEE brand, you'll ntice that the ingredient legend does not give a percentage number....So the $1.30 you're paying is really not much of a deal after all....Walmart/ Aldi etc can probably give you a better deal overall...

Any how, if things are getting better in the water, you're well on your way..I'd keep the PPM's up, continue brushing and backwqshing as needed..as for me, my green water issue is turning out to be a metals issue....(THANK GOD I finally found that out)...

Sorry, but I cannot answer the question concerning the sump pump....BUT KEEP BLEACHING !!! a little improvement today will constantly improve over the next few days....You're getting there !!!! (I only wish I was so lucky)...

scootchu
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
So with metals in the water it will be and stay green?

With the amount of bleach I have in this pool I cannot imagine how the pool has not at least turned cloudy blue.

Yesterday I tried the dilution test with what little distilled water I had (I use it to clean records) and with just a 1/4 of the vial filled with a pool sample the reading was still off the charts with the max being 3, so my gut feeling is I have a ton of Chlorine in there.

My wife had picked up the Big Lots bleach on her way home from work. I bought 7 of the 3 packs of Clorox at Sams for about $6.86. Each jug in the pack is about 1.4 gallons. I am down to a jug and a half.

The robot is coming up very light now and the water is very clean as far as particles go.

I am beginning to suspect something else since the water is taking so very long to clear. Monday will make it 2 weeks with the filter running 24/7.

My wife is off today and she is taking a sample to the pool store. Do I have to ask for them to test for metals?

stma
06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
The way I've been reading things, IF your FC numbers are holding overnite, then the bleach has accomplished it's job at killing any algae blooms....The next step is looking at the metals issue...This is exactly the point I'm at today...Ive poured near 35 gallons of bleach in a 7500 gallon pool in the past 13 days and have seen NO CHANGE !!!....one of the gals suggested taking a Vitamin C tablet, place it in a sock, crush it with a hammer and rub the sock against the pool wall.....IF in fact the rubbing takes off a stain or lightens the vinyl (which you'll see pretty quickly) the problem is metals....

I'm headed out within the hour to buy a Metal out product which I'm praying will help with this pool water....

But try that Vit.C sock and see how you make out....it sounds as though we're both in the same boat...gotta love that well water !!!!

Watermom
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
stma,
It is probably not a good idea to post your e-mail address on the forum. Lots of spam harvesters out there. Our forum has lots of "spiders" all the time. Better to just let him send you a private message instead or give him your e-mail address within your private message. Just my opinion. :)

By the way, if you decide you want to remove it from your post, you can hit the 'edit' button and go back in and do so.

scootchu
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
The way I've been reading things, IF your FC numbers are holding overnite, then the bleach has accomplished it's job at killing any algae blooms....The next step is looking at the metals issue...This is exactly the point I'm at today...Ive poured near 35 gallons of bleach in a 7500 gallon pool in the past 13 days and have seen NO CHANGE !!!....one of the gals suggested taking a Vitamin C tablet, place it in a sock, crush it with a hammer and rub the sock against the pool wall.....IF in fact the rubbing takes off a stain or lightens the vinyl (which you'll see pretty quickly) the problem is metals....

I'm headed out within the hour to buy a Metal out product which I'm praying will help with this pool water....

But try that Vit.C sock and see how you make out....it sounds as though we're both in the same boat...gotta love that well water !!!!

But and there always is a but, there isn't any staining. :( I suppose I will just wait and see what the pool store test shows and go from there.

I guess I am just at a loss right now because I haven't seen things change like they have in the past. I keep expecting to come home or wake up and see a significant difference and know that I am on the right track, but I don't.

I will post my test results later today.

scootchu
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Taylor Kit arrived and this what I am dealing with right now:
PH - 7.2 added acid earlier
ALK - 80
Cal - 40
CYA - 110 :(
FC - 63ppm !!!! That was diluting a 10ml sample 1/3 pool 2/3 distilled water
42 drops

Could that be right????

CC -0

Still cloudy green although a bit lighter shade of green.

HELP!!!

aylad
06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
With a CYA level that high, it's going to be almost impossible to get the chlorine level up where you need it to clear the pool. I strongly advise to drain about 1/2 the pool and refill, and go from there!

Janet

stma
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
the only thing I can do is lend you my next steps I am taking in dealing with a 2 week old green pool...check your CL levels tonite, then check again tomorrow morning before the sun hits the pool...IF there is NO difference in the readings, it means the FC has stopped working against the algae...in other words, you have no algae left....you can also rub your hands across the sides of the pool wall...does it feel slimy, slippery et c?? If not, the algae is gone....

You DEFINITELY need to do the Vitamin C in the sock "thing." you Very Well may have a metals issue....In the event you do, FORGET the pool, enjoy the weekend and let the FC number drop to 1-2 PPm, THEN start your metal out treatments.....The afore-mentioned is exactly what I'm doing (except I'm buyin a case of beer as well to celebrate my findings).....!!

I NEVER had an issue like this in the past, and my cure-all was ALWAYS to keep shocking...Unfortunately, it didn't work this time.....The Vitamin C sock has shown me my issue is metal and not algae....i only wish I knew this prior to dumping 30 gallons of bleach into the water....!!!

PLEASE keep us posted as to your results and I will post to you as well to mine....together, we can get through this :> (then we can tackle the gas prices)!!!!!

scootchu
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
With a CYA level that high, it's going to be almost impossible to get the chlorine level up where you need it to clear the pool. I strongly advise to drain about 1/2 the pool and refill, and go from there!

Janet

That's what I am doing as I type. The pool store guy said, "who did this?" and I raised my hand. I guess he figured a competing store did it.
He said my CYA was off the charts. It was starting to clear a bit more, but at 63ppm I guess it had no choice.

I have drained below the skimmer already. Can I lay my solar cover on top of the exiting water and start filling from above? Will this keep the two from mixing much? I don't really want to take it too low without water on the walls.

scootchu
06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
the only thing I can do is lend you my next steps I am taking in dealing with a 2 week old green pool...check your CL levels tonite, then check again tomorrow morning before the sun hits the pool...IF there is NO difference in the readings, it means the FC has stopped working against the algae...in other words, you have no algae left....you can also rub your hands across the sides of the pool wall...does it feel slimy, slippery et c?? If not, the algae is gone....

You DEFINITELY need to do the Vitamin C in the sock "thing." you Very Well may have a metals issue....In the event you do, FORGET the pool, enjoy the weekend and let the FC number drop to 1-2 PPm, THEN start your metal out treatments.....The afore-mentioned is exactly what I'm doing (except I'm buyin a case of beer as well to celebrate my findings).....!!

I NEVER had an issue like this in the past, and my cure-all was ALWAYS to keep shocking...Unfortunately, it didn't work this time.....The Vitamin C sock has shown me my issue is metal and not algae....i only wish I knew this prior to dumping 30 gallons of bleach into the water....!!!

PLEASE keep us posted as to your results and I will post to you as well to mine....together, we can get through this :> (then we can tackle the gas prices)!!!!!

The pool store test turned up no metals present. Just sky high CYA.

szampino
06-06-2008, 11:34 PM
scootchu-

I suggest that you tackle one thing at a time and stay focused. Metals make a mess but they can clear up pretty quickly and can be controlled. Focus first on getting your CYA down (Like you are doing). Keep in mind that a half fill (using simple math) will take it from 110 to 55 and I (personally) think that is still pretty high. Doing a partial drain/refill a 2nd time would get it somewhere I like better, especially if you may also be dealing with metals. Keep in mind that metals react with High Chlorine and High PH so, in theory, if you need to shock and/or maintain at higher levels of FC due to your CYA number there may be a higher likely hood of a metal reaction.

If you really think you are dealing with metals, then I suggest the following:

When you do your refill and get your CYA down, Get your PH to about 7.0. Get your FC to about 1. Add about 1.5 to 1.75 qts of Pool Magnet or HTH Metal Control, let it circulate in the pool overnight. (don't add the product during sunlight).

Next, Vaccum if needed. Then begin to raise your FC to Shock level see BestGuess guide post. keep it at the appropriate level until it holds overnight, I'd even give it one extra night if you can be patient enough. Kill the 'pool livestock' and make sure its gone.

At the same time keep monitoring your PH and keep it low 7.0 - 7.2. **If and only if you believe that you are having a metal reaction due to your shock treatment, after you've completed 'shock therapy' let your chlorine level drop to somewhere around 1-2 and put some more Metal Control in, about the same as before, vaccum again and bring your FC back to the appropriate range.

I'm not a forum expert but have been dealing with metals.

CarlD
06-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Taylor Kit arrived and this what I am dealing with right now:
PH - 7.2 added acid earlier
ALK - 80
Cal - 40
CYA - 110 :(
FC - 63ppm !!!! That was diluting a 10ml sample 1/3 pool 2/3 distilled water
42 drops

Could that be right????

CC -0

Still cloudy green although a bit lighter shade of green.

HELP!!!

No. Dilution is only effective for the OTO chlorine test. The Taylor test should be good to at least 50ppm if not 100ppm (100 drops vs 200 drops). So your FC number is spurious. Sorry.

scootchu
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip. I had a 30ppm FC yesterday and my PH was 7.2
ALK was about 100 and my CYA was 70.

The pool water is bluish, but still a bit hazy. The bottom is clean of all organic materials. You can see the robot on the bottom with no problem, but the water is still not even close to crystal clear. I had DE somewhere, but cannot locate it. I will try to find it and/or buy some to put in the filter.

The pool store guy did try to tell me my sand was rounded and most likely needed to be changed and I could see how that would work in theory, but not in practice. I doubt 200 pounds of sand is going to tumble over and over like a rock tumbler and turn them into polished gems would it?

AND if things are a PITA enough the pump decided that the bushing between the impeller and the shaft was going to leak. I think there is a replacement bushing, but the shaft may be the cause and not worth trying to repair.

I added a small amount of clarifyer yesterday morning, but it didn't doing anything spectacular. I would really like to clear up the hazy water. The filter doesn't seem to be getting the tiny little particles out like I would like.

stma
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
some folks on this forum have never changed out their sand...and i firmly agree with them...Years ago (and before finding this forum) I was changing out 100 lbs of sand twice a season !!! (based on the pool store's reccomendation)...needless to say, those days are long gone....

My water as well, is just shy of crystal....i wrapped one of the wife's panty hose around the skimmer insert....That has always helped me in the past....

scootchu
06-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Just an update:
FC is around 20
PH - 7.4
Alk - 80
CYA - 70

I changed out my filter and pump. It's a Hayward ST166 filter with a 1HP pump. I used a generic Zeobrite media in the filter and the pool is clearing a bit more each day, but still taking its sweet time.

My question is how long do I keep the shock level up, especially if the water is no longer green and I can see the botton print on the liner???

If it were totally clear I would have my answer, but it's not.

szampino
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
What is your CC number?

scootchu
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM
It is finally under control.

The cloudiness would not clear and thinking back to last year and the amount of clarifier I had used I was betting that I used too much and then a little more this season didn't help.

The chlorine has been holding at 15ppm and the PH was 7.4 so I knew my water was in a lot better shape than before.

I added some Power Floc and in 4 hours watched in astonishment as a brown cloud appeared beneath the haze in the center of the pool. It steadily became bigger and others popped up. This morning I saw a much clearer pool and vaccumed to waste the piles at the bottom.

I am topping off the water lost and running the robot and filter. I am so relieved that the water is clear. Now I can fine tune and relax a bit.

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it !

mbar
06-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm so happy that your water is clear!!! I know how frustrating it is to have to keep trying things, especially when you have to wait a while in between "things";) I know, I keep trying different levels in my pool to one day find out how to keep metals out the easy way.:D

scootchu
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks again. I have noticed that I am still getting piles deposited overnight in the center of the pool. What I want make sure of is whether it's algae or just the coagulated reminants from the floc treatment.

I have vacuumed to waste twice and been running the robot a lot. It's a brownish color just like what accumulated when I added the flocculant.

My water temp is a cool 74.
My PH was 7.4
FC was 12ppm
ALK was 90

Should I be concerned about algae or does it take this long for the particles to slowly stop precipitating?? Otherwise the water is clear.

mbar
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
As long as your chlorine in good - the right levels with your cya, and you have no combined chlorine, then it is just dirt and dead algae - it could take a wihile to all filter out.

scootchu
06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
No combined chlorine. I checked today. My CYA is 50
I will floc again later this week and vacuum to waste.

mbar
06-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't floc again. Just keep the filter running. As long as your chemical numbers are good, and your water is clear, what would the purpose of using floc again? The less you put in your pool the better:D

scootchu
06-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't floc again. Just keep the filter running. As long as your chemical numbers are good, and your water is clear, what would the purpose of using floc again? The less you put in your pool the better:D

It's still a little cloudy.

mbar
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
If you want to clear it up fast, then floc, you probably won't need as much this time.:)

scootchu
06-27-2008, 09:20 PM
If you want to clear it up fast, then floc, you probably won't need as much this time.:)

I added what was left in the bottle, which was less than half the recommended dose and we'll see how that goes. :)

scootchu
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow I cannot believe the crud that fell to the floor of the pool. It was greenish in color, but I don't believe it to be algae.

I mean my CYA has been dropping with the swapping of old water for new and is at 45ppm and my FC was 15ppm overnight. The PH was 7.4 and ALK was 80. There was no CC present. I can't figure out why my water was clear after the first treatment and then got cloudy again.

Hopefully after this last treatment I will be alright. I am running the filter 12 hours a day. I am little puzzled.

mbar
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm puzzled too:confused: I would think that with the clear water, and the fact that all of your numbers were good, that the water would have stayed clear. The only thing I can think of is that there may have been more pollen falling into the pool that wasn't getting filtered out until the particles combined and fell to the bottom with the floc. Maybe someone else has some ideas:D

scootchu
06-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm puzzled too:confused: I would think that with the clear water, and the fact that all of your numbers were good, that the water would have stayed clear. The only thing I can think of is that there may have been more pollen falling into the pool that wasn't getting filtered out until the particles combined and fell to the bottom with the floc. Maybe someone else has some ideas:D

I think you are right about the pollen. The piles were visible again this morning and my wife vacuumed to waste this morning. I am just puzzled as in the 10 years of owning this pool this is kinda a new experience with the cloudiness.

I guess the good news is that my CYA is going down due to the water replacement process. If it gets cloudy again with good numbers I am getting out the sledge hammer and knocking over the pool walls. JK

mbar
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I know the feeling!! It amazes me how each year is different - sometimes the rain is acidic, sometimes there is more and different looking pollen. Sometimes I open to really clean water, sometimes to a swamp:rolleyes: Oh well, the thing to remember is to keep the water sanitized, and try to get the water balanced:D Hppy swimming!

scootchu
07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Okay this is getting ridiculous. The particles stopped precipitating to the pool bottom as yesterday I had a small pile that I sent to waste.

Now the water is clean, but not crystal clear. It has that haze to it.

I just tested the water this morning and my numbers are good.
FC - 12ppm
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
ALK - 80
Cal - 40
CYA - 45

I have been maintaining a high Chlorine level for fear of letting it drop and the water getting out of control, but something just isn't right.

It seems like ever since I have installed a new liner the clarity has suffered. I know it's a coincidence, but weird.

My filter is running 12 hours a day and when I do backwash I get lot's of green and brown discharge. I must be missing something incredibly obvious.

mbar
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I would try a skimmer sock. All of your numbers are good. I think it just will take a little longer to "polish" the water. My water was the same this year. We had so much pollen, and the skimmer sock would need to be changed a couple of times a day. It took quite a while for the water to get the "polished" look that we all love. The fact that your filter is still collecting green stuff, sounds to me like there is still pollen in the water that is being filtered out. Try a skimmer sock, or if you have a sand filter you can add a little DE to the filter (you can search for adding DE to a sand filter on this forum), this may help to get the rest of it out of the water.

scootchu
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I would try a skimmer sock. All of your numbers are good. I think it just will take a little longer to "polish" the water. My water was the same this year. We had so much pollen, and the skimmer sock would need to be changed a couple of times a day. It took quite a while for the water to get the "polished" look that we all love. The fact that your filter is still collecting green stuff, sounds to me like there is still pollen in the water that is being filtered out. Try a skimmer sock, or if you have a sand filter you can add a little DE to the filter (you can search for adding DE to a sand filter on this forum), this may help to get the rest of it out of the water.

I have been using a stocking and I tried a coffee filter the other day. It worked, but I think it creates too much suction on the basket. I got them from work so nothing lost. I think today I will try a real skimmer sock and see what that does. I do know that the suction from just a stocking cracked and bent my basket. LOL

I used to add DE to my sand, but I switched to a generic Zeobrite media and from what I have read I cannot add DE to that. It was like that with the old sand too, so nothing has really changed.

When I get home from work I will see what kind of surprise I have today!