PDA

View Full Version : Brown goop in skimmer?

tcjones
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I covered the skimmer basket with a knee-high stocking to catch the maple seeds blowing in. The stocking is filling up with a brown goop that feels like fine sawdust when you squeeze the water out. Is this an algae, or some kind of pollen?

The water is clear, and I have the BBB up to where it should be.

Ideas?

joliecharlie
06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Most likely it is pollen or plant debris and the skimmer socks (or hose) will help. We are just now seeing this stuff decreasing in my part of NC.... it started in early March. It sinks easily and I have had to run my robot alot!

tcjones
06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
That's what I hope, pollen etc that will clear up. I have never used a skimmer sock, so this stuff may have been there last year. The sock gets so filled, it completely stops the flow and creates a vacuum in the filter.:(

mbar
06-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I have it too! I hate it, along with all the caterpillars, I just don't even want to sit outside - yuck:( . Hopefully the stuff will end soon - it eats up the chlorine too:eek: . This was a bad year for opening - such warm days in april and lots of precipitation over the winter made a nice green swamp:rolleyes:

b2001
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I agree that it's pollen or plant debris. I have the same issues - my pool is under or very near 5 oak trees. I have it all the time, every year. I clean my sock out every morning and evening.

Watermom
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Pollen here, too, along with cicadas. Those things are huge and I'm finding quite a few of them in my pool. YUCK!!

CarlD
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Pollen. Looks like yellow spackle here. It should end in a couple of weeks. I have to clean it out a couple of times a day.