PDA

View Full Version : When to Change Cartridges

jhm
05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm wondering how often you should change filter cartridges? I have had mind about 7 years, and clean them at least 3-4 times per year. Lately, it seems to have less and less effect.

Any guidelines?

Thanks!

waterbear
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
3-5 years is an average lifespan. I would say you got your money's worth out of yours!

jhm
06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks Waterbear! I think maybe I tried to stretch it a little too far, especially after comparing the new filters with the old.

Jim

waste
06-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Jhm, get the replacements but don't throw out the old carts. If something bad happens and the pool becomes a swamp, you can use the old ones for the 'heavy cleaning' without prematurely shortening the life of the new carts.

I believe that one can get a longer life out of carts by cleaning them when the pressure gauge rises 5 PSI from clean (as opposed to the often recommended 8- 10 PSI rise) - the 'stuff' doesn't become as embedded and therefore, washes out more thoroughly and easily:)

Watermom
06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Jhm, get the replacements but don't throw out the old carts. If something bad happens and the pool becomes a swamp, you can use the old ones for the 'heavy cleaning' without prematurely shortening the life of the new carts.

Good suggestion, Ted.

DennyB65
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
3-5 years?? The longest I have ever been able to get out of one is 1 1/2 years. That is for a quality replacement filter. Not a lousy Home Depot after market brand. I'll never buy a cart from Home Depot again. It lasted about six months.

waterbear
06-06-2008, 02:25 AM
3-5 years?? The longest I have ever been able to get out of one is 1 1/2 years. That is for a quality replacement filter. Not a lousy Home Depot after market brand. I'll never buy a cart from Home Depot again. It lasted about six months.
How are you cleaning your cart and do you ever soak it to remove organics?

DennyB65
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I was wondering if I should be soaking it in an acid/water solution. Does it really make a difference? Also, how do you feel about those automatic cart cleaners waterbear? I have seen good reviews on them here on the forum. Are they worth the 130.00 they cost? Also, I am curious as to how often I should be cleaning my cart? I was doing it every two weeks and was told that it was too often as it would lose some efficiency if cleaned too often. How do you feel about this? Thanks in advance.

waterbear
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
You should hose off your carts when the pressure rises 8 psi or after 1 month, whichever comes first. You can go longer if the pressure has not risem much but the carts will be harder to clean. Use a short, non adjustable, small bore brass garden hose nozzle. It works better than more expensive cleaning wands and only costs about $4 at the harware store. You should shoot the water from top to bottom at a 45 degree angle until the cart is clean.
Once or twice a year you should soak your cart but NOT in acid without degreasing it first, unless you want to ruin it! Use automatic dishwasher detergent powder like Electrosol or Cascade. Use 1 cup for every 5 gallons of water and soak the cart overnight and then hose it off (you need a containier big enough to submerge the cart, ether standing on it's end or lying down). This will remove any organics without damaging the Reemay polyester material the cart is made from. Once the cart has been degreased you can inspect it for calcium scaling or metal staining and, if present, you can now acid wash the cart. (Acid washing will shorten it's life.) to acid wash soak it in one part muriatic acid to 20 parts water until bubbling stops or about 20 minutes and rinse again. ONCE AGAIN, NEVER ACID WASH A CART BEFORE DEGREASING OR YOU WILL HARDEN THE ORGANICS ON THE CART INTO A CEMENT LIKE MATERIAL AND RUIN THE CART!

Hope this is helpful.