PDA

View Full Version : Air bubble in pump

nicole12
05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I have an air bubble in my pump. I have a sand filter with 1 1/2 hp astral pump. This has never happened before. It has been like this since opening the pool up this season. Usually the pump will prime itself and and the bubble goes away, not happening this time though.

I have emptied out the pump basket a couple of times because of heavy pollen, going to put the skimmer sock back on to help with that.

Any ideas how to get that bubble of air out of the pump or if it's not a big deal just leave it?

chrisexv6
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Are you getting air bubbles through your return jets? If not, its probably not a leak causing this bubble in the pump. If you ARE, then you might want to start checking for a leak.

Otherwise, Ive had success with a couple things....first is to try running the filter in recirc mode, this seems to help push the air bubble out....make sure to return to filter mode, I dont run it very long this way, just for a few minutes. Second thing to try might be running the pump to waste for a little bit, switch back to filter mode, then loosen the glass view sight attached to the multiport......you can hear some air escaping at that point, leave the glass thing unscrewed a little bit for any other air that might get thru. Finally try leaving the drain for the filter unscrewed with the filter running for a few minutes.....you lose water (and your equipment area gets wet, so make sure thats OK and there are no electrical risks), but it seems to quicken the air bubble going away.

Ive noticed I get the "bubble" in my pump also when the filter is in need of backwashing.....do you have a good pressure gauge? Is it reading normal or above normal? I replace my gauge every year just to make sure Im getting an accurate reading each season.

-Chris

nicole12
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
No air in the return so no leak. Our system is pretty simple and everything is above ground so I would see a leak. I will try everything you suggested thanks so much.