PDA

View Full Version : Pool base styrofoam

Lauralai
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a question with the foam base. Does it have to be the blue or pink foam?
I went to the local building supply store and they said that you can use the white plastispan normal Styrofoam stuff. I'm trying to get the most economical pool base, possible and the platispan can be bought at home depot for 12 dollars for 1"x4'x8' sheets that have plastic on both side to help keep it from breaking. The pink and blue stuff here is $20 a sheet.
My pool install directions say you can use Styrofoam but don't say exactly what kind.
http://www.pioneerfamilypools.ca/man...ance-Round.pdf

Their is no way I can get large quantities of sand in my back yard either, if I use sand only it will need to be carried in by the bag which could get expensive and tiring. We also seem to have a fair bit of small gravel rocks in out back yard that the more we level the more we find that I don't think I can get out. Has anyone tried sand and the laminated floor under pad foam stuff to help the bottom be smooth??

The pool is an AG 15' round and we started the leveling process today. It will probably be a few more days before we get it level.
Thanks

badutahboy
05-30-2008, 01:24 AM
I have a question with the foam base. Does it have to be the blue or pink foam?
I went to the local building supply store and they said that you can use the white plastispan normal Styrofoam stuff. I'm trying to get the most economical pool base, possible and the platispan can be bought at home depot for 12 dollars for 1"x4'x8' sheets that have plastic on both side to help keep it from breaking. The pink and blue stuff here is $20 a sheet.
My pool install directions say you can use Styrofoam but don't say exactly what kind.
http://www.pioneerfamilypools.ca/man...ance-Round.pdf

Their is no way I can get large quantities of sand in my back yard either, if I use sand only it will need to be carried in by the bag which could get expensive and tiring. We also seem to have a fair bit of small gravel rocks in out back yard that the more we level the more we find that I don't think I can get out. Has anyone tried sand and the laminated floor under pad foam stuff to help the bottom be smooth??

The pool is an AG 15' round and we started the leveling process today. It will probably be a few more days before we get it level.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure the white foam will be ok... but because it's not as dense, I'd use something thicker than 1"... When I was pricing mine last year, I figured that I could use the 1.5" white stuff for about 2/3 of the cost of the pink 1"... I never could find a PSI strength rating for the white stuff which is why I didn't use it, but in hindsight, I think it would have been fine.

a piece of advice... if you're using foam, you need to try really hard to get your entire pool area level. Mine isn't perfect, and I can feel all sorts of high and low spots.. I think when I replace my liner in a couple years, I'm going to yank out all the foam and use sand instead...

Also, make sure all your joints are REALLY tight... I have 2 places where I thought it would be ok to leave a small gap from the wall.. of course those pieces moved towards the gap in the wall, and now I have a place where you can see the gap between the foam pieces...