PDA

View Full Version : Hazy water

DennyB65
05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
My water gets cloudy with any significant bather load and hasn't totally cleared up after 2 days. Filter run time is at 10 hours/day. All chemical parameters are within range. I clean the cartridge filter once/month. It is due to be cleaned this weekend. New Filter was purchased in April. Technically speaking, the water is fine but the haziness of it bothers me. Any suggestions or should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks.

JohnT
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
My water gets cloudy with any significant bather load and hasn't totally cleared up after 2 days. Filter run time is at 10 hours/day. All chemical parameters are within range.

Post your test numbers. Nobody can advise you without your results.

DennyB65
06-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Test Results are as follows:

P.H. 7.6 Parameters are consistent as I test my water very often.
Cl 4.0 (3 to 5 times a week)
T.Alk 90
cya 90

Bought a Hayward cartridge to replace the after market one I had purchased at Home Depot just 2 months ago. When I took out the old cartridge it was loaded with a yellow substance and the filter was just filthy in general. I clean my filter once a month, this has always been adequate in th past. After installing the new cartridge i added some Jacks Emerald stuff and the haziness of the water cleared up significantly. However, when I brushed the pool today I was getting a yellowish looking dust coming up off the bottom of the pool that I was only able to see with my polarized sun glasses on. I kicked up my aqua rite to 100% and running my pump 10 hours/day. Water temp is 90 degrees give or take. We have had some significant forest fires in So Fla as well. I would really appreciate any input that the experts may have. Let me know if you need any more info.

rnjng
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
i hope this has relivency. bens best guess chart shows the cya/stabilizer numbers and the respective clorine levels that should be maintained accourdind to the stabilizer. your cya is at 90 which shows that your min. fc should be 5, and max. should be 10. I hope this is my correct understanding can someone please verify.

here is the link for bens chart
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

CarlD
06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
In other words, your chlorine level is 'way too low. That was obvious when I saw it was 4.0 (Total C, not FC) and CYA=90. 90 implies keeping your FC close to 10--the 5 to 10 range is for 60-90. You're at the top, keep your FC at the top.

That's the most obvious reason for your clouding...you don't have enough chlorine. To lower CYA, you have to drain off water. If you drain half your water your CYA will be half.

Don't chlorinate with Tri-chlor tablets or even di-chlor powder. Stick strictly to bleach and liquid chlorine or the problem will get worse.

Good Luck!

DennyB65
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I am running an aqua rite SWG. The manufacturer says to keep cya @ 80 to 100. I guess I will always need to have my Cl at a 5 or higher. Especially with high So. Florida summer water temps. ( 90 + ). How often should I clean my cartridge filter and should I add anything to else to the water besides increasing chlorine to get rid of the yellow substance?

CarlD
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I am running an aqua rite SWG. The manufacturer says to keep cya @ 80 to 100. I guess I will always need to have my Cl at a 5 or higher. Especially with high So. Florida summer water temps. ( 90 + ). How often should I clean my cartridge filter and should I add anything to else to the water besides increasing chlorine to get rid of the yellow substance?

OK, I didn't see you had an SWG. The rules are a little different. But I would raise the FC to 5 minimum. Still, I'll let the experts comment on proper SWG usage.

If the yellow is pollen, I find the BEST way to fight it is a skimmer sock in the skimmer, and clean it twice a day. It catches most of it before it gets to your filter.

aylad
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I brush the pool daily to keep it stirred up, and let my filter take care of it.

Janet