PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkles

korinian
05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Hey everybody! We've had a very wet winter and spring in Oklahoma. I uncovered the pool this last weekend and it was horrible. Algae was everywhere... thick and nasty. Finally finished getting everything under control yesterday. Nice and clear... however, I've got some wrinkles in my liner. The liner is 3 years old and was flawless as of last year. I'm guessing that the wrinkles are a byproduct of the ground water rising. They are in the shallow end on the floor of the pool. My question is will these damage the liner if I do nothing AND are they as big a pain to remove as I think they will be. Thanks for any help.

waste
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
I guess it all depends on how you define 'damaging the liner' and 'big pain'.

The liner doesn't want to be wrinkled, the wrinkles will wear out sooner than a smooth liner and the pattern will probably fade earlier on the wrinkles than it would ordinarily because of vacuuming and general use (this is aesthetic, but the wrinkles aren't attractive either;) ) - you'll also have the ridges to catch debris. As the liner is only 3 years old, I'd opt to get them out now.

To get them out, basically you want to lower the water to ~ the level of the wrinkles, work them out and refill the pool while keeping them from reforming - what we do where I work is to basically reset the liner with vacs - you may or may not have to use the vacs, depending on the ease with which you can work the wrinkles out. (I know I've posted this stuff in the past ~ month - if you'd like I'll try to find it or, I'll just retypo (:p ) it)

I think you are right about the ground water pushing the liner around - was the pool level low durring the wet period? if so, you may want to think about adding some drainage to the area or a well point or 2.

korinian
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I spent about an hour in the shallow end of my pool with a toilet plunger. Not the best opening line in a message, but after carefully working the wrinkles slowly back towards the pool walls I've successfully removed 8 pretty bad wrinkles. I'm about halfway done. It worked great. Just thought I'd give an update. I didn't have to drain any water. Thanks to the 2 forums I frequent for pool info. That's where I'd found the tip about the plunger.