PDA

View Full Version : constant backwashing ?????

stma
05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Any reason why my pool needs backwashing every three or so hours ??

Have an AG with Hayward filter and pump...Just installed a new lateral and stand pipe system along with the suggested 100lbs of sand....Grant it the water is murky at this point, but the backwashing is not helping matters AND the backwash water is actually pretty clean...normal psi is 12, but that number jumps to 20 inside of a few hours....

My water is always dirty upon cover removal, but I never needed to backwash this often....The only difference this year is the NEW laterals and stand pipe...everything else is the same....

Any help would be appreciated..

Poconos
05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
You may be surprised what can plug a filter. Could be pollen. Saw a similar situation recently with my friends sand filter upon opening. In this situation I was vacuuming the bottom of settled stuff and pressure was doing exactly as yours, almost same numbers too, and in minutes. Solution was to use skimmer socks that trapped a lot of crud before it got to the filter. Easy to clean and re-use. Even with normal circulation after vacuuming they were trapping a lot of crud but now the pressure rise was over hours. Never used them before and was impressed. A stretchy material that goes over the skimmer basket. Once the bulk of the crud is cleaned up just go back to normal operation without them. Available in pool stores.
Al

Watermom
05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Like Al said, if you do use skimmer socks, you will be surprised at how much little stuff they catch --- especially pollen in my case. They do a great job of keeping a lot of the stuff out of your filter, but the flipside is you have to go and empty them out frequently. Like every couple of hours. Worth it though, because of how well they catch the pollen, in my opinion. If I wasn't going to be around the house for several hours, I removed it while I was gone and then put it back on when I got back home.

stma
05-28-2008, 04:56 PM
As always, thanks Al and the famous WaterMom !! Al, I'm here in the Poconos as well and the pollen has been incredibly bad....While the wife is out, I'll grab a pair of her pantyhose and see if that does anything.....like Mom says, i'll probably have to clear it out more often than not...

As fate would have it, i'm reading this AFTER I took the head off the filter...i reached in and stirred things up from the bottom in case I had channeling....Got everything back together and started in BWash mode...All I can say is the Irish Folks would have been proud to see the color of THAT water backwashing down the driveway...!!!

Thanks again guys (and gal) for the input..

Poconos
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I see you're a little south of me. I'm in the far northeast corner and got an email warning earlier today calling for frost warnings in Northern Wayne County. I'm in Southern Wayne....whoopee. Right now the caterpillers are drowning like lemmings.
Al

stma
05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Used to have a place in Thompson actually, so I know the area you're typing from...Tired of the cold yet Al ???? South Carolina is callin' !!!! Cannot believe a frost warning 3 days before June !!! ???

Sock is working by the way...after 20 minutes, it was "holding" water....sounds like a long nite ahead of me...

Thanks again Al...

Steve