PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Numbers

dustybecca
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Ok here are my numbers, I have a vinyl 22,000 gal pool.
Chl 2
pH 7.8
T.A 210ppm
T.H 740ppm
CYA 80ppm

Last weeks tests
Chl 6
pH 7.5
T.A 170ppm
T.H 600ppm
CYA 70ppm

Looking at my tests last week everything has went up. Im having trouble keeping my Chl up. Chl and 2oz of pollyquat a week are all Im putting into the pool. I have to add well water occationally to maintain water level. Im thinking I need to do the Muratic Acid thing, but Im not sure. Guess I just want some reassurance Im going to be doing the right thing. I have printed out the Muratic Acid directions and am ready to go. Holding off until I get the green light though. LOL:D
Thanks Becca

JohnT
04-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, you need to add acid. Your TA will track up and down with your pH. The acid is dangerous if used carelessly, but pretty safe if you just take basic precautions. With well water, you will probably always fight alkalinity and rising pH. Welcome to my world.:)

mas985
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Did I read your numbers correct, total hardness is 740 ppm? This is pretty high. Recommended levels are 200-400 ppm. Do you have very hard fill water or is something else going on? With this high of hardness, you are well above the optimum saturation index which means that you may experience scaling and/or cloudy water.

dustybecca
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Im using well water to fill the pool, the water in Okla is VERY hard. I am seeing scale around the water line. Thought it was do to high ALK and pH. Suggestions on lowering?

mas985
04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
It is pretty difficult to lower hardness other than replacing the water with lower hardness water. There are some flocculants that are supposed to lower it but it is a very messy and time consuming process. It may be easier to purchase some replacement water and have it trucked in.

dustybecca
04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Think I may just hook up hose to a tap in the house, we have a water softner. That should help right? Maybe with the ALK too?!

mas985
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Yes, a water softner will help but you may want to test your tap water first to see what you are dealing with.

dustybecca
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Is there a formula for how much acid to add and how long to wait before adding more?

JohnT
04-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Is there a formula for how much acid to add and how long to wait before adding more?

Bleachcalc will do acid too. I usually wait 4 or 5 hours before retesting. Better to sneak up on the right reading than to blow past it at 70mph. I don't even retest everytime anymore. I know what a quart of acid will do, so I just add it and wait.

dustybecca
04-27-2006, 04:17 PM
OK Ive got the pool churning, (aerating w/ fountain, garden hose w/ high pressure nozzle in one return and the other return pointed to the sky) I've added about 4 cups of acid. Now Im waiting. Ill let you know how it turns out. Thank you SO much for all your help!!!!!

Service Guy
04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Yes, you need to add acid. Your TA will track up and down with your pH. The acid is dangerous if used carelessly, but pretty safe if you just take basic precautions. With well water, you will probably always fight alkalinity and rising pH. Welcome to my world.:)

Actually, well water generally runs more acidic than alkaline, so he'll work more on keeping the pH & Total Alkalinity UP.

PoolDoc
04-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Actually, well water generally runs more acidic than alkaline, so he'll work more on keeping the pH & Total Alkalinity UP.
Unfortunately, that's true only for specific local areas. In my area, we have -- within 10 miles of each other -- both acidic and alkaline wells. In other parts of the country, most wells are alkaline.

You cannot make any general statement about well water, except that it's often a source of problem.

"Service Guy", you need to slow down on the posts, and stay away from offering answers on chemistry, till you've read more. Some of your equipment posts have been helpful, but you aren't doing so well with chemistry. Please take a look at my other site, PoolSolutions.com, and read some, before you post on pool chemistry again. If you disagree, you are welcome to say so, but only in the "China Shop" section.

Thanks

Ben
"PoolDoc"

jenmenke
04-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Think I may just hook up hose to a tap in the house, we have a water softner. That should help right? Maybe with the ALK too?!

I just wanted to say that we had problems with our well water, too. I didn't want to battle those problems every season when I added water back to the pool. We hooked one outdoor spigot to our water softener. It has worked GREAT and I highly recommend it. It doesn't cancel out all our issues (we still deal with high alkalinity) but for the most part it has eliminated our biggest problems.
Jennie

dustybecca
04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I tested my soft water this morning, pH was low but ALK was just the same as whats in the pool now. LOL :rolleyes: Guess Ill just have to master the use of adding acid, and aerating!

jenmenke
04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
My well water must be like yours. Even the soft water is highly alkaline, so I, too have to add acid. My pool this morning tested at 210, after closing around 100. But then, I just added tons of water back in. The "bigger problems" that I referenced were high iron and other metals and off the chart calcium hardness. The softener does help with that.