PDA

View Full Version : solar panel types

abadubs
05-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Our specs: 27' AG round basically flat bottom, 1 1/2 hp pump with sand filter. Short WI season just starting to open bc it's been cold on and off all month (50's today!)

Our 3 panels 2x20 are basically toast after only 2 yrs of use. We tried and tried to repair with little luck. So in looking for new ones, mostly on ebay as they're the same and much cheaper than the local stores, I've come across a couple options I'd like input on IF you have the experience/know how.

The Fafco Bear Deluxe system is a 4x20 panel with built in diverter. This would take less space than 2 2x20s since there's no 5" space between the two panels. Less leaking from connections, less likely to flip up in wind since it's heavier. Possibly more difficult to winterize, quality of diverter is questionable to me, just looks simple compared to the one we've been using, but again simple means less connections to create leaks.

Sungrabber, also by Fafco, is I believe what we have now. Cost is a bit less, takes more space as there's room needed for the connections between 3 or 4 panels instead of just 2.

In my search I found a newer looking system, I thought it was by Fafco but it's not on their website so maybe not, and only sold in stores that advertise on the internet but are not internet stores...none local. I can't remember if the correct name was Radiation Sun Heater or Rotation... something like that. It advances the basic system by indents creating the water to swirl in the tubes and heat all water, not just the top. It was late so I couldn't call the stores in question to check on price or shipping possibilities and now I can't find the same stores/solar system in question during my search.

My Questions are: If you know of the more complex system what is it called and where is a good place to purchase online. Is it worth the extra money. I believe it had a 15 yr warranty vs the 10 yr now offered by Bear and Sungrabber. Idk if I had a warranty with what I have now, I'm bad at saving the receipts or registering products of such nature, but would the warranty have covered all the leaks that are so common (tube leaks, not connection leaks) in such a short time? I know it's prorated but only one good year is not acceptable, though still cheaper than gas/electric heater.

The rotation system aside, is there advantage/disadvantage to the solid 4x20 vs 2 2x20's other than space and cost? I may spend the extra money for 2 4x20's if I go that route with minor adjustments to our current plywood incline support (8x20) but would have to stick with 3 of the 2x20s bc we can't have it flat on the ground or the 3 dogs may walk on it among other things. Will the extra 2x20 show dramatic improvement on our 27' pool?

If using 2 4x20's or 4 2x20s (would be $80 cheaper) should we be splitting the flow in half going into the heaters rather than have the same water flow through each heater? How does that effect the heat transfer/warm up rate as well as the pump pressure? They are advertising the new 2008 panels as high flow rate w/ 2 inch headers vs old 1 1/2 " headers. I never left full pressure on when using the panels in the past in fear of causing more problems (dh did a couple times, maybe the cause of some leaks?).

Thanks to Carl and everyone else who is so helpful/knowledgable here.

abadubs
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok I remembered the R word I needed...Revolution. It's also made by Fafco and has a 15 yr warranty vs the 10 yr on Bear deluxe and Sun Grabber systems.
Here's a link with the info for those interested. Still need to find it available online.
http://www.fafco.com/SolarPoolHeater/FAFCO-Revolution.html

hancop
05-28-2008, 08:35 AM
How about the enersol panels, that is what I am getting.

http://www.enersol.com/

abadubs
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
How about the enersol panels, that is what I am getting.

http://www.enersol.com/

That's a lot more money than the Fafco ones, anyone have experience with both to know if it's worth it?