PDA

View Full Version : @@@ Replace or sanitize water? @@@

105ex
05-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Hello,

One of my neighbours recently had to scoop out a dead rodent and a dead bird out of her pool, both within a period of about a month, so (un)lucky her. :(

She asked me if it's better to just empty up the pool and replace the water or to try to sanitize the water.

My first inclination would be to suggest to try to sanitize the water but I'd like to hear what the experts here think what should be done.

Also, how would you sanitize and get a good feel that it's really sanitary? Is it just shocking several times or are there other chemicals to pour?

Many TIA.

CarlD
05-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Shock. When it holds the high FC for a few days without dropping all the time, the water is clean. The idea is to KILL any biologics the dead critters left in the water. Shock and filter, shock and filter....

aylad
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I can promise you that shocking the water will sanitize it....if you don't believe me, here's how I know...
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1630&highlight=suicide

Janet

Edit: Sorry, I thought I put that link in when I made the post--only realized today that it wasn't there!

PhantomAndy
06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Yep - shock and then enjoy the pool. If you need to you can have a memorial service first.

Within the first week of opening my pool, it had take the lives of 3 chipmonks (they do a perfect dead man's float) one mouse and several moles.

They just can't seem to figure the whole "winter cover is off now" concept.

Since then I've sent a few more moles and one chipmunk on to the pearly gates. We have to check our skimmers daily for critters.

Unless we have been away for a few days and come back to find a dead critter that's likely been there for several days then we just don't really worry. I keep my water well balanced to handle such short exposure to a dead animal for a few hours.