PDA

View Full Version : DE is a Sand Filter or Zeobrite?

JBfromNJ
05-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Anyone try adding DE to the sand in their sand filter? If so how do you add it and how much. Did it improve filtration? I'm not getting the filtration I would desire so I am looking into alternatives before completly replacing my Hayward Sand Filter with a comparable DE filter.

Also, anyone try the Zeobrite product in their sand filter? Any Pros or Cons over regular old filter sand?

Thanks in advance .............and looking forward to a happy summer.

CarlD
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
All the time. Do a seach on the threads. Poconos and I do it all the time. Start with adding 1/3 cup and wait. The object is to add just enough to increase your pressure 1lb. Add another 1/3. If you add to much and you start having problems with water pressure weak out the returns, just backwash and start again. You'll find that one 10lb box lasts all summer, easily, if not two--cheapest improvement you can make to your sand filter. I don't know that adding it to Zeobrite makes sense. Then again, I don't know why spending a fortune on Zeobrite makes sense at all when sand and DE are SO much cheaper.

JBfromNJ
05-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks Carl .......... have a great holiday weekend ...........and hopefully it will start to warm up here in NJ