PDA

View Full Version : Hard Pipe my pump and solar heater

MaxxFusion
05-21-2008, 07:17 PM
This year I want to hard pipe my pump and solar heater. What kind of pipe should I use? I am thinking a 2" PVC but do I have to go schedule 80 or will standard pvc do the trick? Also should I use any special connectors to make things easier to take apart in the fall?

Thanks

Poconos
05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
No need for Sched-80. 40 is just fine and a lot cheaper. If you use quick disconnect uions they are probably sched-80. May consider short sections of auto radiator hose right on the PVC pipe. You can get straight 3' sections at almost any auto store and cut as needed. Go with the cheap stuff. Some hoses can run $40 a section but there are cheaper ones that aren't reinforced as much and work just fine. I have a pic in this thread where I used it on the pump outlet line. Same hose in 7th or 8th season now and no signs of deterioration.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=7054

Hose would allow some flexing and if used on the pump it cuts down on conducted noise.
Al

CarlD
05-21-2008, 08:05 PM
This year I want to hard pipe my pump and solar heater. What kind of pipe should I use? I am thinking a 2" PVC but do I have to go schedule 80 or will standard pvc do the trick? Also should I use any special connectors to make things easier to take apart in the fall?

Thanks

Schedule 40 is sufficient. I use a lot of 1 1/2 hard and TigerFlex. I have a 1hp full-rated Superpump.

tphaggerty
05-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Remember that not all white PVC is schedule 40, especially fittings and couplings. In the part of NY where I live, Home Depot carries a lot of non-rated fittings. Lowe's has Sched 40 fittings.