PDA

View Full Version : Fixing an old Anthony vs. buying a new Hayward

Water_man
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi all,
I have an old Anthony 1 HP pump which I inherited from the previous owner and it sure had its days.
Since the pool opening a couple of days ago I've encountered the following problems:

1. On season start up pump's motor hummed but pump wouldn't start. We had to rotate the shaft in order to start. This happened in previous season too.

2. I've been fighting (successfully, thank heavens and this board :D ) the green swamp and have had lots of backwashes. Whenever the DE filter's pressure goes up from 5 to 13 the pump loses its prime - motor works but there’s no water flow.

3. Same thing happens when I vacuum the bottom and the pump's basket fills up with leaves. I put a pantyhose on the skimmer basket and same thing happened: pump lost its prime.

4. Pump leaks between the shaft and impeller.

I called a local Anthony dealer to see if it's worth it to fix the pump. I did some reading on line and I’ve realized that most of the problems are theoretically fixable, if you have the parts. The dealer told me that parts are scarce. Anthony no longer makes pumps.

I decided to "go with the flow" and get a new popular Hayward. I zeroes in on the Super Pump 1 HP which I can get from a local dealer for $350 with extended 2 years parts and labor warranty. The pump is also available on line from poolcenter.com for $300 with standard warranty.
I'll go with the local dealer.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

CarlD
05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I have that in the 2 speed model and it just started it's 6th season. I STRONGLY recommend you spring for the 2 speed--you'll love it!

Water_man
05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I have that in the 2 speed model and it just started it's 6th season. I STRONGLY recommend you spring for the 2 speed--you'll love it!

What's the advantage of 2 speed over single speed? It's about $100 difference in price. Is it worth it? Is it also available in 110 V?

CarlD
05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
What's the advantage of 2 speed over single speed? It's about $100 difference in price. Is it worth it? Is it also available in 110 V?

Low speed is far more energy efficient. Even if you have to run your pump twice as long, it still will only use about 1/3 the electricity. You will use it on low speed 90-95% of the time, only using it on high for backwashing or for vacuuming, or for a fountain.

It's far quieter. You can barely hear it if you are close so longer running times are not an ear strain.

Sand filters actually filter BETTER when the water is moving slower. More stuff sticks to the sand and that, in turn helps it filter better. Also the filter may last longer (also in its 6th season, and with the original sand).

It only comes in 220v...but that's more energy efficient as well.

Remember: This is all merely my opinion, but it's based on my experience.

Water_man
05-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the input.
I didn't have time to get an electrician to install 220V power. I got my Hayward 1HP Super Pump installed today.
Seems like a great pump. My old Anthony looked damaged beyond repair. I don't understand how this dead horse was still running.