PDA

View Full Version : Hose

jrv331
05-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Im looking at moving my pump/filter further away from my pool and it looks like I'll need to connect two pieces of hose together. Id rather have a single piece. Is there a certain brand/rating I should be looking for? My local pool store doesnt carry hose by the foot, they said it was cheaply made compared to the section pieces.
Thanks
John

CarlD
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
There are lots of solutions without joining. There's hosing you can use with internal barbed fittings. There's TigerFlex which uses Schedule 40 glue-on external fittings--it's the same as hard PVC piping, only flexible.

You can check on-line catalogs for the parts you may need--there are many such places with pictures and sometimes even directions.

jrv331
05-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Carl,
Thanks, I did look on line before posing but didnt see any thing. I'll do a search for the tiger flex. That sounds like a winner.
Thanks
John

jrv331
05-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Any one have experience with this brand?
http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/Commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=105105&zmam=8525827&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=105105

Thanks
John

waste
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
John, I don't know the brand, but what's pictured looks like the thinner hoses that I've seen which tend to tear very easily:( I think you would be doing yourself a favor by spending a little more money and getting the flex PVC like Carl suggested (and as long as I'm spending your money, put unions [A/K/A quick disconnects] on the pipe - it cost's more, but IMO is money well spent:) FWIW - I prefer a glued connection over a clamp or threaded connection because the glued connections don't have anywhere near the failure rate as the others in my experience.

I do want to point out that the flex PVC will quickly get 'splotchy' or diseased looking when exposed to the elements and UV - there is nothing wrong with the pipe's integrity but it can look pretty ugly (I'm not sure if it takes spray paint well - I've never tried painting some). Also be sure to properly prime and glue the connections, but this is true with all PVC connections - if you need any tips on going the PVC way - just ask, I think by now I've probably glued ~ mile of PVC together;)

CarlD
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
You can use that stuff. But be forewarned that it can spring leaks after a couple of seasons, but it's cheap enough and easy enough to replace. Tigerflex is a permanent solution.

jrv331
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I didnt know Tigerflex had so many different types of hose. Which is the best for a pool? Which connectors? I need two 12 ft lenghts.

Just asking here but Im assuming that having one piece is better than having multiple pieces connected together.

Thanks
John

waste
05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
What you want is for the hose and fittings to be Schedule 40 PVC. 1 piece is better than joining smaller sections together because every extra joint is just one more place to possibly leak. Whichever hose you end up using, you want to be sure to have it long enough to have a couple of feet resting on the ground so as to prevent undue stress on the connections from the weight and movement of the water passing through it.:)

jrv331
05-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Which Hose do you recommend for pools, H,J,K series or the Spa series?
Thanks
John