PDA

View Full Version : Need New Filter and may be Pump

joepa300
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
My American cart. filter has a broken o-ring which I cant replace as it is obsolete. Im looking to replace with either sand or DE. Have a 22K IG pool with a 1.5 HP single-speed pump, 1.5" plumping, ~ 90-100 gpm. Pump is ~10 yrs old. Would be nice to replace with a new energy efficient model. How large a sand filter do you all think I would need with the existing pump? Any suggestions for a new filter/pump combo?

ChuckD
05-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey joe,
I also have a 22K gal. i/g (17x33) with 1-1/2" lines. I have a Hayward EC-65A system and am very satisfied with it. Pump's 3/4 hp, filter is DE. This is original equipment from when the pool was built ~20 years ago. I did replace the pump two years ago just because the impeller had been abused and taking it apart was too much of a hassle (it's out in the weather during the summer and some of the housing bolts had become too corroded). The filter is dismantled at least once a year and it looks fine inside.

I highly recommend DE. Personal bias aside, I wish every pool was as clean and clear as mine and I think it's because of the DE medium. I get by with running the pump 8 hours a day. I usually backwash three times when opening and then one charge lasts two months. I dispose of the spent DE by pumping it out into the yard and within a day or so there's no trace of it. I could probably hose it down and make it disappear immediately.

C.

<edited for some atrocious spelling errors>

Poconos
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Joe,
Some of us have been chucking a little DE in our sand filters and achieving almost the filtering advantages of a DE filter without any disadvantages. Have the simplicity of a sand filter of you don;t need ultimate filtering and use a lot less DE when you do. There is a sticky in this forum that describes it.
Al

Edit: You may find the pics in these threads interesting:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6744

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6799

joepa300
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Al,

I have been seriously considering doing the sand/DE setup, just a little nervous since all the pool store people are "(gasp) anything but sand!"

I would appreciate any thoughts on the following: I have read that the max flow that 11/2" plumping can give is 42 gpm/intake. I have 2 skimmers so max is 84 gpm. The hayward S310T2 top mount 31" sand filter has a design flow rate of 98 gpm. Is this a good option? Should I go for a side mount instead? If I can, I would like to keep my aging 11/2 HP pump until it dies and a bigger filter is always better, right?

On another topic, how are things in Honesdale. I grew up outside the Clarks Summit area and still have family there. Are you getting into the natural gas craze up there?

waterbear
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Al,

I have been seriously considering doing the sand/DE setup, just a little nervous since all the pool store people are "(gasp) anything but sand!"

Of course they say that, it cuts into their replacement cartridge and DE substitute sales!

Poconos
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Joe,
Nothing wrong with sand filters. Waste is right about the $$$ bottom line. Not home now and can't remember the model numbers but mine is a 300# top mount with a 1 HP Superpump and 1.5" plumbing. Been doing a good job since 97 and can't complain. The only reason to go to a cartridge or DE is if you have a phobia about water and dirt. Sand is plenty good enough for the majority of people and the DE trick, as I stated before, gives you the advantages of DE level filtration without the hassle. Nice thing is you can try just the sand alone and if you still want finer filtration, add the DE. I find when I have pollen and extremely fine dirt are the only times I add DE.
As for Honesdale, still there. Looks like the outside temp is 55 now and the trees are in the blooming and pollen phase.
Al

joepa300
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
One last question. THis weekend I replaced the cartridge filter with a new Hayward sand filter. Everything is running fine. However the instructions say that the sand should reach ~6" from the top. After putting in the correct amount (I counted the empty bags like 10X) the sand is no where close to the top, say 15". SHould I add more or let sleeping dogs lie? Thanks.

Poconos
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd throw in a little more if it is easy to do. I just put my valve back on yesterday and didn't look but the sand is definitely more than 6" down but not 15. Since 97 I've never added any sand and be aware you'll lose a very little bit every time you backwash. I don't think it's a big deal.
Al