PDA

View Full Version : Solar blanket on a free form pool.

ohpoolboy
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a question as to how a solar blanket would work on a free form pool. My pool is 24 x 44 at it's widest and longest points (it is 16' at it's narrowest point).

I'm looking into getting a solar blanket this season to preserve the water temp during the night. I'd like to get some type of reel system to store th cove on. My question is does the reel need to be as wide as the pool or can the cover be folded in and then wound up on a narrower the reel?

I'm concerned that folding the cover will increase the diameter of the rolled up cover too much. I'm also concerned that folding and unfolding might be too difficult for one person.

On the other hand, having a 24' reel will take up a lot of space next to the pool and the cost jump is significant.

Does any one have any experience with this type and size pool?

Thanks

JShilling
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I also have a freeform pool (17X34) I cut the solar cover to fit the pool - the roller is about 20' wide. I'm thinking of not cutting my next cover to make roll up easier (PIA to roll up now)

The roller is on wheels so I just roll it over to the fence and its out of the way and sight.

digger01
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
We have a 20x40 free form. I bought a cover that was just a little longer and wider than the pool. We cut it in half and and then sort of turned it a little before trimming it to fit the round perimmeter. We roll it up or fold it by hand, no rollers and store it out of site until the evening. When not in use it is in a shed.

Its not heavy if you let the water drain....