PDA

View Full Version : New liner filled, green water?

szcakes
03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi all! I just got my in ground liner replaced and the pool has been filled with the hose. The guy is coming back next week to put the chemicals in. The water is VERY green. Please tell me that once he balances it, it will turn blue. There is no green color in the liner at all. I am very anxious about this. Thanks!

aylad
03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
If your pump is functioning, you can clear it up yourself...I wouldn't wait a week to clear it up because the longer it sits, the longer it'll take to get all the algae out of the pool. Why is the guy waiting that long? Besides, with an algae bloom like that, it's not going to be a matter of just putting chems in and it's instantly blue....algae blooms take time and work to eliminate.

In order to clear the pool, you're going to have to put enough chlorine (I recommend plain, unscented bleach) in the pool to reach a 12-15 ppm level, and you're going to have to keep it at that level by frequent chlorine additions, as the chlorine gets used up killing the algae. Keep the filter running 24/7, backwashing the filter as necessary, and brush the pool daily to keep as much of the algae brushed up into the water as possible. Once the pool turns cloudy blue, you can then let your chlorine level drop, but you need to keep the filter running 24/7 until it is completely clear. This is going to take a few days, so don't get upset if you're not seeing immediate results.

I very highly recommend that you get your own drop-based test kit and handle your pool water yourself--it's not hard, and you won't have to wait a week for the problems to get cleared up!

Janet

szcakes
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks Janet but I do not think it is an algae bloom. As soon as the pool started to fill with the hose you could see the color was green. The liner was changed and we are filling the pool with the hose; which is taking about 48 hours. He should come monday or Tuesday to balance it. ( I hope)

We bought the house with the pool in place, so I have never experinced a new pool fill before. My worry is that the liner is causing this color? Although I cannot even imagine that as the liner is blue. It HAS to be something with the untreated water coming out of the hose, yes?

I just spent a fortune to have ground drainage put in to prevent the new liner from floating, and I do not want a green colored pool! LOL ACK!

Thanks for the speedy reply as I am rather naxious about this.

waste
03-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Any chance you got a liner with a black/ dark gray and white bottom (sort of patterned with black/ gray 'stones' (not 'spots' - the 'stone' shapes are striated) - if so - you should see the water clear up as the level rises [something about the internal refraction of these liners makes the water look green when the water level is low :confused: ] If you have a pattern like this it's not algae - just physics:p

szcakes
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. the pool man emialed me back and said its normal and he will fix it, might be metals?

we shall see.....