PDA

View Full Version : Shock Question

hannadock
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Is shock the same as bleach? Last year my pool was crystal clear and all my levels were within range. I replaced the liner 2 months earlier and they sent some shock with the liner. I thought I would use it then the next day my water had a slighty cloudy and I have not been able to get it back since. I need recommendations. Please go easy on me I am learning and learning the lingo as well. Thanks

aylad
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
"Shock" is actually a verb-something you do to the pool- rather than a particular product. You can use any form of chlorine to shock the pool, whether it's bleach, cal hypo, or dichlor. To shock actually means to bring the chlorine level up to an elevated level to burn off the bad stuff in your pool. If you still have the container the product came in, look at the ingredient label and post it, and we probably would be able to tell you why the water clouds up.

Bleach is generally the cheapest and most efficient way to shock the pool, since it doesn't add anything extra to the pool other than chlorine and a little salt.

Janet

CarlD
03-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Hate to say it, but you have some reading ahead of you.

On each of the topics there's a set of "stickied" threads that are FULL of information.

You need to look at the ones on chemicals and testing. I've written some, Aylad, Watermom and Poconos have all written some, too. PoolDoc wrote a lot be we haven't heard from him in a long, long time.

Then you can go to our sister-site: PoolSolutions.com, and start reading there. Concentrate on "tips". Some are a little dated but only when they refer so specific models and brands of equipment.

But we all STRONGLY recommend a good test kit as the starting point.

hannadock
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks I starting checking everything out. I only use 3 items, bleach, borax and soda. Tablets in the skimmer. I don't have the products but they came from Dehaney's Waterwarehouse. I'll start reading. Thanks again for the response.

Watermom
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
If you are using tabs in the skimmer, then you are using more than just bleach, borax and baking soda as the tabs are most likely trichlor. Let us know what type (ingredient) the tabs are and the "shock" as Janet suggested above. We will also need a set of current water testing results from a drops-based kit instead of test strips. The, somebody here can help you get started. Welcome to the forum!

CarlD
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Right. Without proper testing we cannot help you.