PDA

View Full Version : Hayward SP problems...new to pools..

JKashJ
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I had a 21x42 lagoon kit installed late in the season last year...approx. 40,000 gallons according to the installer. I've got a Hayward 1.5HP SuperPump on it that was working fine when we used the pool last in the fall.

As we opened it up over the weekend, I noticed two things...one, the pressure is thru the roof, 45-50psi on filtration, less on backwash/waste. It was 15-18psi in the fall. Two, there is air coming into the basket just before the pump, which didn't happen in the fall. Bubbles are also coming out of the two skimmers in the pool. When it self primes, two small leaks form in the sand filter at the top...rolling down the side. They dissappear once the pump is primed, but the air never completely escapes from the basket.

I searched and read in this section and it seems like there are a number of possible reasons for this, but i kept thinking if air was getting in around the pump or filter, that water would be leaking out as well, and i'm only seeing that during priming.

Any help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated...by the way...this forum is a great resource...it's been extremely helpful so far. I'm looking forward to educating myself further and sharing as well.

aylad
03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
The first thing I would check would be the gaskets and seals, especially around the pump basket, and see if you can eliminate the air leak. also, you shold be able to tighten the cap on top of the sand filter to stop leaks from there. Poconos is our resident pump expert, hopefully he or Carl will chime in with what to look at next.

Janet

waste
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

That pressure is VERY high! The first thing I'd suggest is to put the milti on 'recirc' and see how everything behaves. Either the filter is clogged or there is an obstruction in the line - what sort of flow are you getting at the return?

Good luck with this - if what I said doesn't identify the problem, we'll figure out another approach:)

Poconos
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the forum again. Are you in a cold climate where hard freezing could be a concern? You said bubbles are coming out of the two skimmers, I assume you meant return jets. The air pocket in the pump basket probably isn't clearing because of low flow and the high pressure indicates low flow too. As Waste said, that pressure is awfully high and that would indicate a blockage too, and as he suggested, switching to recirculate may eliminate the filter. Switching to Rinse mode may tell something too as the water flow through the filter is in the normal direction but dumped to waste. Stupid question, but are there any valves on the return side that you may have left closed or partially closed? Those leaks at the top of the filter are no problem normally. If it's a Hayward, assume it is, the retaining clamp collar just needs to be tightened. I just tighten the two bolts enough to stop leaks to minimize the risk of snapping it by overtightening. To put your mind a little at ease, it is highly unlikely the return pipes have an obstruction in them. No chance of anything getting past the filter.
Keep us posted.
Al

JKashJ
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm in Georgia, so we do have freezing temperatures, but we didn't get below 25 this year...and getting that cold was a rarity. The bubbles are coming out of the return jets...I have two Aqua Genies, so the returns are just below the skimmers.

I'll check all the gaskets, tighten screws and try recirculating tommorrow to see if that clears it. None of the valves are closed. We do have a spillover spa, and those valves are currently closed, but they don't affect anything with the pool returns.

If I do have something in the lines running from the skimmers to the pump, could i use a traditional plumbing snake on it to check?
Or...Any chance the pressure gauge has gone bad? The suction is wonderful on the pump, it just has air in it. Other than that, everything seems great.

But...i am having to educate myself on how to transform my swamp into the pristine blue I fell in love with last year.

Thanks for the info guys.

Poconos
03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
If there is a restriction on the suction side the pressure and flow would be low. Gauges are low in mass and prone to freeze damage when everything else can survive. They run about $6 or so at a pool store so it's simple to eliminate that item. Something else I just realized, 45-50 psi probably cannot be reached with a centrifugal pump even with a fully blocked output. My 1 HP won't quite hit 30. Also, bet the max working pressure on the sand filter is 50 psi. If you look at the tank when you kick the pump on you'll clearly notice the thing expanding which is normal. More reason to suspect the gauge first.
Al

JKashJ
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Great advice Al...I'll change that out tommorrow and see if that clears the pressure gauge issue. I still need to take care of the bubbles...i've been slammed at work and not able to get to it yet...

Thanks again for the great info.

JKashJ
03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Ok...changed out the gauge tonight and it immediately dropped to 15 psi. Didn't have it wrapped well with teflon tape..i think i went the wrong direction with it...anyhow, a small leak is coming from the threads at the gauge, so i'll fix that tommorrow.

Tightened the two screws on top of the sand filter and checked the gasket at the basket just before the pump...i've still got bubbles coming in. I can't find a spot where water is leaking anywhere(would that be the case if air is getting in?)

I did move it to recirculate, but i didn't notice any change with the bubble issue after that. I know Aylad mentioned checking the gaskets and seals...other than the one in the basket, where else would you recommend checking?

Thanks,

Kash

JKashJ
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Now the leak in the gauge is fixed. I'm running between 12 and 14 psi. I've read on here about taking the top off of the sand filter and cleaning some fo the parts inside. Is that something i need to do as I start things up in the spring?

Watermom
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I have never messed with my sand. This will be my eighth season with my sand and I have never had to clean it or anything else. Still just fine. A pressure reading of 12-14 is just fine. When you get a 8-10 psi rise in the filter pressure, that will indicate when it is time to do a backwash.

Poconos
03-29-2008, 12:53 AM
If it's easy to pop the top and easily peek inside go ahead and do it but it probably isn't necessary. I take my valve assembly inside every winter anyhow and, like Watermom, never had to do anything to the sand for 10 seasons. As for air leaks, any joint ahead of the pump inlet can be suspect. All it takes is a tiny place for air to be sucked in. You can take something like petroleum jelly, vaseline, and smear it around any suspect joints. Much cheaper than silicon grease. If you locate something then we'll deal with fixing it. When done, wipe off the lube and clean any residue with alcohol, paint thinner, or anything that will clean off the lube and evaporate. Anoither source of air could be low water level and you get a vortex in the skimmer and momentary suction of air. You should be able to hear that though...pretty loud.
That's it for now.
Al

JKashJ
03-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the details....today is pool day for me, so i'll go thru the suggestions and see what comes of it.

Kash