PDA

View Full Version : Pool Heaters, maintenance?

rhosk
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
This discussion about calcium content got me thinking -
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=815

...and didn't want to hi-jak that thread.

I have never worried about calcium in my pool (IG, vinyl, @22,000 gal). But I do have a Hayward propane heater and am now wondering whether any damage has occured over the years (been in service probably about 10 seasons now).

Is there a way that I can inspect the heat exchanger to see if any corrosion has started? I haven't opened so the heater isn't in operation yet.

mas985
04-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I am not sure if you can see it directly but have you had any metal staining in the pool? Also, you could test for metal in the water to see if it is higher than the fill water.

rhosk
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I had some very mild staining around the step area (fiberglass) last year. I guess that's why it got me thinking.

Besides getting calcium in there this year, I was just wondering if I could take it apart and clean up whatever might be starting - the exchangers aren't cheap and that's IF they're available at all.

Or do you think the calcium could abate the process?

Maybe I could get it apart and cycle some CLR (or equivelant) in there to clean it up? Just brainstorming here. I have the upper shells removed right now and it doesn't appear that it would be too difficult to get to the actual exchanger - just wondering if it will be a waste of time to try and do this.

mas985
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
If corrosion occured, I am not sure that cleaning the heat exchanger will help at all. If scaling occured, then cleaning may help.

Calcium will help stop corrosion, but not reverse it.

rhosk
04-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Appreciate it Mark, thanks!

donfranko
04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Any suggestions for an adequate level of CAl in a vinyl pool? I have a heater and tested my Cal today it was 110ppm on a 1 year old pool.

thanks