PDA

View Full Version : Swimming season on the horizon...2008

steveinaz
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
This will be our 2nd season with the pool, I'm pretty excited. This winter was uneventful---I don't close my pool because I'm in Southern Arizona. The water did get down to 42 degrees during the coldest times. I simply turned my SWCG down to 5% output, running about 6hrs a day across 3-2hr intervals. At the close of the swimming season, I had to add about 25lbs of salt, largely due to grandkids splash-out, and 2 partial drains from monsoon rain falls.

I added some CYA last weekend, I had maybe 10ppm indicated. The SWCG is slowly being raised (20% output), and the water temp is up to 63 degrees. The water remained crystal clear all winter--no issues to speak of. My numbers last week:

FC 8ppm (tested 3/22/08)
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 70ppm (tested 3/22/08)
CH (I think my reagent is bad, can't get a reading)
TA 120ppm (tested 3/22/08)
Salt 2600ppm (tested 3/22/08)

This weekend I'll do a full range of tests for a baseline this year. Let's get this party started!:D

aquarium
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Central Texas here...and the pool is open for bizness! :D

No takers for swimming, but it seems safe enough to put the drain plugs back in the pumps. We scooped out a lot of the leaves with the net, and then ran the Polaris for a day. So the pool looks okay. A bit cloudy, but okay, considering it was mostly ignored since October.

The pumps are now on for three hours a day. Maybe three cups of bleach every now and then when anyone remembers it. :p

aylad
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe three cups of bleach every now and then when anyone remembers it. :p

That's what I love about swimming pools in the south!!! :D

Janet

digger01
03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
We live in Central Jersey and over the weekend we opened the pool, it was clear and the level is below the returns (no numbers due to hose). The cover is tearing it lasted two years, maybe go to a better cover next year.

The kids were tempted to go in until they felt the water, 40 degrees. The pump gets started when the water level gets to the skimmers. Sooo, hopefully the sun may heat it up a little.

I am also looking to hook up solar. I dont want to turn on the heat pump, atleast not until air temp is warmer.

ChuckD
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm pleased to announce that the iceberg that was our 17x33 ingound is now free-floating with a 2 inch gap of open water around it's perimeter.

I'm headed back out to watch it melt ...

CarlD
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I just ordered a new solar cover. No matter what I do they die after 3 years, so I'm not spending another fortune on one. My pool is FULL to the brim with rainwater...so it should be just a lot of cleaning but no filling.