PDA

View Full Version : Help with picking pump/filter system.

lukw646
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I have an 18'x52 AG with 150lb Sand filter and 1hp Hayward pump which is dead. I really don't have a good area for backwashing. So I would like to change to a cartridge filter with a 3/4 pump or a 2 speed pump. Any suggestions? Thanks for a great forum.

Thanks,
Dave

Watermom
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I can't answer your question about a recommendation for a new pump, but just be sure you want a cartridge. Everyone I have ever heard talk about theirs has complained about what a pain it is and how expensive they are to replace.

lukw646
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I was really looking for something a little easier to maintain. I don't have a great area to backwash my sand filter. Plus, the first year our sand filter kept the water crystal clear, but has gotten worse every year since. It is only 4 years old and I have changed the sand twice, replaced the guts and multivalve of the tank, hand scrubed the inside of the tank and plumbing, resealed all the joints and now the pump is dying. I did the chorline tablets for the first two years, the "sustain" way the 3rd year (which was a nightmare to keep our pool balanced), last year I found this sight and changed to the simple and correct way and the pool is clear but not as great as the first year. Would like to go with DE but to backwash I need to run a 100' line to drain. I backwash at least once a week sometimes more because the filter pressure starts dropping after a couple of days. So again, any advice is helpful.

Thanks again,
Dave

Poconos
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Dave,
What kind or pressures are you running? The last line in your last post says the pressure starts dropping after a couple days and that would be odd. When the filter starts plugging the pressure rises. Not sure why the filter doesn't seem to be working as well as it originally did because sand doesn't go bad unless it gets gooped up somehow. My sand is starting it's 10th season. The 150# filter for the 1 HP pump is not a good match. Pump too big and/or filter too small and that may be your problem. Trying to ram too much water through the filter. I agree with Watermom about the cartridge filters. This forum is full of complaints about the maintenance and costs. My own opinion is they would be OK in a spa or hot tub where you filter a small volume of water that doesn't get too dirty, but a big pool...no. Watermom is getting away with a 1/2 HP pump for a 24' AG and seems to be working fine. Think she has a 200# sand filter. If you do decide to stay with a sand filter there is a trick of adding a small amout of DE to the thing to get better filtration. The small amount would not cause a backwashing problem as to where to dump it.
Al

lukw646
03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Poconos, Too much pump/not enough filter?? I am willing to give it another go. Would the 150# filter and a 1/2 or 3/4 hp be a good fit? What I meant by pressure dropping was. The pressure of the water coming from the return was dropping. I can feel the water coming out of the return was not as strong. My problem with backwashing is I really don't have anyplace to run it to. It is over 100 ft to our ditch (we do live in the country) out front of the house. However, if I can get my filter system set up and functioning properly I assume backwashing would be less frequent. Again, thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Dave

Watermom
03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
What is the actual pressure reading on your filter? (in p.s.i) How often are you having to backwash? I have a 24ft AG with a 1/2hp pump and a 200 ft sand filter. I very seldom have to backwash. Maybe only once every few weeks? I watch my filter pressure, and when it rises by 8-10 psi, then I backwash.

lukw646
03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
From my bad memory. I believe the pressure started at about 25 and rose to maybe 35. But since I never really went by the gauge I can't be sure. I always went by the pressure I felt on the return. However, I had to backwash at least every other week and sometimes weekly. We never have a bunch of swimmers as it is only my wife, daughter and myself. Friends on very, very few occasions. So the pool isn't being overused. If I didn't backwash that often the water would be slightly cloudy. Once I backwashed to would be clearer just never crystal clear. I kept it balanced all summer long with no problems. Sorry, I don't have the numbers as I trashed them at the end of the season. I was wondering if I had too much pump was it just pushing the dirt right through the sand? Thanks, again.

Poconos
03-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Dave,
May want to check this thread and especially post #5 from Evan (Waterbear).
http://66.129.2.151/pf2/showthread.php?t=8243&highlight=uprated

All I can say is Watermom is using a Hayward Superpump, inground model SP2600X5 I believe, 1/2 HP, and it seems to work just fine. She had a problem with adequate suction for vacuuming for a bit but once a good backwash was done that issue was solved. Filter was plugging and I think at the time the pressure gauge didn't work. In any case, stay away from those blasted screw on lids. After some time they may be a dog to get off. In your case I wouldn't consider a 2-speed unless you plan to upsize your filter. My opinion. Maybe Evan will chime in as he's loaded with experience and good info.
Al

lukw646
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm still looking. I am going to stay with my sand filter for now. However, I still need a pump. I posted another thread to see if anyone has had any problems with the Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1HP 2spd. PS said they don't recommend them because of reported problems. I can't seem to find anyone who has had problems. Thanks again.