PDA

View Full Version : DE Filter Storage

gverntz3
04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
As part of winter storage for a DE filter. I wash off the grid with a hose and store it in my shed (inside an empty garabage can). Is this OK?

jenmenke
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm curious to read an answer to your question, so I'm bumping it to the top. I would like whoever answers this to also address the need for removing the grids at all and how often that should happen. Once a year seems like a lot. I was told that if I regularly backwashed and added new DE, I wouldn't have to do it at all. But that has never seemed right either.
Jennie Menke

MaryLee
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Here in NH we (actually our pool company) close our pool in early October. They hose down the grids inside the DE filter and store just the grid part in the basement for the winter. Other then the ladder and railings, everything else is left outside. I'm assuming this is done so that there is no freezing & expansion in the grids during the "sub-zero" winter months. :)

Bergerman
04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Greetings from NJ- I take the grids in for the winter. In the fall,I hose the grids down one by one. I put the grids back together and keep them in the attic. In springtime I put the grids back into the filter. I keep my pump and heat pump uncovered all winter long. I am thinking about covering the heat pump. I have only had the pool for 4 years so I am still learning(thanks to this forum:) 0 . Just my 2 cents.

Ed

ChristopherS64
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I hose off grids at end of summer, reassemble filter and leave outside. Going on 13th year with same filter and pump.

jenmenke
04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks.
I did take the top off my filter yesterday and hose off the DE. MAN! It was insane how much gunk there was in there! Clearly, the backwashing was not getting rid of all the DE. My filter was weird though -- it's almost like a spiral of sorts. I don't think it comes apart. So I hosed it off best I could. the manual (that my german shorthair grabbed and ripped to shreds shortly thereafter) stated that after hosing off I should soak in degreaser. I didn't take that step, but probably will at the start of next season. It looked pretty good to me.
Thanks for info.
Jennie