PDA

View Full Version : Do I buy a new filter?

nicole12
02-04-2008, 05:19 PM
:mad: For the past two seasons my sand filter has put "dust/debris like bugs, loose bristles from the vacuum" back into the pool. I've checked the laterals, replaced the stand pipe, replaced the spider gasket, changed from sand to Zeobrite. Put some electrical tape where the stand pipe meets the top of the filter to make sure debris wasn't going through that way.

I don't know what else to do, my husband says no big deal we just vacuum it up, for me it drives me absolutely nuts. This dust/debris is just thrown in the pool when the filter first starts up. I have been using panty hose on the return and the pool is spotless but panty hose flying from the return looks kind of ugly :)

Do I just buy a new sand filter at this point? Or just deal with it and vacuum more often? Or any other suggestions on what to change/replace on the filter?

CarlD
02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
:mad: For the past two seasons my sand filter has put "dust/debris like bugs, loose bristles from the vacuum" back into the pool. I've checked the laterals, replaced the stand pipe, replaced the spider gasket, changed from sand to Zeobrite. Put some electrical tape where the stand pipe meets the top of the filter to make sure debris wasn't going through that way.

I don't know what else to do, my husband says no big deal we just vacuum it up, for me it drives me absolutely nuts. This dust/debris is just thrown in the pool when the filter first starts up. I have been using panty hose on the return and the pool is spotless but panty hose flying from the return looks kind of ugly :)

Do I just buy a new sand filter at this point? Or just deal with it and vacuum more often? Or any other suggestions on what to change/replace on the filter?

My guess? Your pump is too big! 1.5 hp??? I have 20,000 gallon, with solar panels and I run 1 hp with a 200 lb sand filter. The MORE hp you have, the more likely you are to blow sand through.

CarlD
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
You didn't say what size pool or filter--i'd get a smaller pump or a bigger filter.

Watermom
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Carl, in her signature it says an 18 ft, AG.

Nicole, I agree with Carl. Your pump is too big. I have a 24ft AG. Used to have a 3/4 hp pump, but when I had to replace it last summer, bought a 1/2 hp pump based on Al's (Poconos) recommendation. He is our resident pump expert around here.

CarlD
02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Carl, in her signature it says an 18 ft, AG.

Nicole, I agree with Carl. Your pump is too big. I have a 24ft AG. Used to have a 3/4 hp pump, but when I had to replace it last summer, bought a 1/2 hp pump based on Al's (Poconos) recommendation. He is our resident pump expert around here.

Whoops, I missed the sig line.

You have approximately 8,000 gallons in your pool. I'm assuming your filter uses between 100 and 150 lbs of sand--with a 1.5hp pump. Much too big.

For your pool you wouldn't use anything bigger than an up-rated 3/4 hp, or a full-rated 1/2 hp pump. You'll save hundreds in electrical bills, too.

Go to our sister-site, PoolSolutions.com and read the tips--search out the tip called the Bigger Pump Scam (or something similar) and it's a really good intro to making choices.

Again, I use a 1 hp full-rated pump with 20,000, and a 200 lb sand filter, but that's because it was the SMALLEST 2 speed pump I could find--and I run it on low speed almost all the time--with the solar panels.
On full speed the pump couldn't have a smaller filter.

All filters work better when their capacity is greater than their pump's output, but for sand filters this is especially true--they just catch the detritus far better and the water is clearer.

nicole12
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
I'll look into buying a new pump from your recommendations. So does the brand really matter or can I go into the local pool store and buy the cheapest one? My filter is a 150lb Astral Millenium sand filter.

The filter/pump came as a set in the the same box, wonder why they would have sent such a high capicity pump.

aylad
02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree with Carl and Watermom in that you definitely need to get a smaller pump..but also keep in mind that when you backwash the filter you have to rinse it before putting it back in filter mode...otherside the backwash water left in the pipes will blow back into the pool.

Jan

Poconos
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Nicole,
I think what I would do is settle on a particular manufacturer and model number then shop on the web to see what kind of price range you get. That would give you an idea if the poolstore is a ripoff. If the bottom line difference is only a few percent then I would support someone local. Someone I could put my hands around their neck if something isn't right. I don't really know if one manufacturer is better than another but always remember you usually, not always, get what you pay for. As for web orders, most times I'll do the shopping on the web but the final order is through a human. That way no surprises like 'sorry...backordered' etc. Hope this helps.
Al