PDA

View Full Version : Travertine Stone over Kooldeck

slater1182
01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
2008 Already!! Happy New Years.

My 1st quarter project will be to install 1200sqft of travertine stone surrounding the pool and back patio. Tile size will be 8x8, 16x16, 8x16 and 16x24.

I was going to install directly over the kool decking. Any potential issue not removing the kool decking? I will use a thin set with latex for extra bonding:)

many thanks for your help,
scott

kevreh
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
2008 Already!! Happy New Years.

My 1st quarter project will be to install 1200sqft of travertine stone surrounding the pool and back patio. Tile size will be 8x8, 16x16, 8x16 and 16x24.

I was going to install directly over the kool decking. Any potential issue not removing the kool decking? I will use a thin set with latex for extra bonding:)

many thanks for your help,
scott

If you ask a tiler, they're going to tell you that the tile job is only as good as whats under it. Any chance the kool deck can detach or "peel" from the base? If so this could pose an issue. Is the slab stable.... meaning any cracks? Are there expansion joints between the slabs? Hopefully so, and you'll want to maintain those. This site is a great tiling forum, but they probably won't know what kool deck is, so be prepared to show pictures or explain the product:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?

Kevin

mbar
04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I had porcelain tile put on top of concrete that was peeling 4 years ago. They put down an orange plastic moisture barrier, that is made for this purpose. They put thinset down, then the barrier, then the thinset for the tile, then the tile. Not one crack in three years, and I live in east PA where the winters are very cold!!

kevreh
04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
I had porcelain tile put on top of concrete that was peeling 4 years ago. They put down an orange plastic moisture barrier, that is made for this purpose. They put thinset down, then the barrier, then the thinset for the tile, then the tile. Not one crack in three years, and I live in east PA where the winters are very cold!!

Probably this:

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

mbar
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes, that is exactly what they put under the tile.:)