PDA

View Full Version : Pool Heater Recommendations

halds
04-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I have another question...

I looks like our old pool heater is due to be replaced. Is it Ok to ask for recommendations for a good, efficient pool heater for 30,000 gal IG pool?

Is gas better than heat pump?

Hal

halds
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Guess, I should have read through the previous posts first....

Since, we already have natural gas installed, it probably will not pay to convert to heat pump. Although they are less $$$ to run, not sure I can recoup the extra expense. Im sure I would have to have new service installed to accommodate the additional 200 circuit. By the time I pay the electricians, there would be very little cost savings over a 10 year period ( unless, natural gas really skyrockets, which is possible, but electricity also seems to be on the rise).

Also we would like to be able to heat the pool when the ambient temp is below 60° F (April in Nebraska) so, not sure a heat pump would work efficiently in those conditions.

Any thoughts about the best/most efficient natural gas heaters?

Hal

EricF
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I have a laars lx-400 ng heater. It is very good at raising the temperature quickly, and seems to be efficient. Unfortunately, after three years of service, I had to replace the electronic control panel to the tune of 580$!!! That is about a third of the total cost of a new heater, which I think is ridiculous. Perhaps there are better models out there. I almost bought a whole new heater just to have spare parts for further down the road!

EricF