PDA

View Full Version : main drain cover came off

robhair1
11-14-2007, 09:26 AM
went out this morning and saw one of the main drain covers four feet away from where it was supposed to be. What can I do??
Do I have to drain pool??

Robert

Poconos
11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Robert,
I moved your thread into this forum as it will probably get more exposure here. I don't know anything about main drains and covers but it would help to know what kind of pool. Liner etc. Someone will be along with advice.
Al

Phillbo
11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
How long can you hold your breath :D

robhair1
11-14-2007, 11:35 PM
It's a IG gunite pool 6 feet at main drains. I fished the cover out and it seems like the screw holes a now too big for the screws ( wear and tear ?) Pool is 4 years old.

What Now??

Poconos
11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Wear and tear? Nah. Something isn't right. Are the screws still attached to the drain at the bottom of the pool? If so then maybe they weren't a good stainless and rusted away and let the cover come off. As I said above I don't know anything about main drains as I don't have one and never dealt with one.
Al

imfignewton
11-16-2007, 12:09 AM
The drain cover should not have come loose from wear and tear. Some one either put in the wrong screws, did not tighten down the correct screws or did not put in the screws and the plaster held it on for awhile. Its very important to put the cover back on with the correct screws (stainless steel). If the pool water is cold then it looks like its wet suit time. If you do not have a wet suit and diving gear then you could call a pool company (preferably the company that built the pool and do it FOR FREE). Most leak detection companies would do the work also.

Hope this helps