PDA

View Full Version : Loop-Lock Repair

halds
04-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I have a mesh (Loop-Lok sp??) pool cover for our IG pool, which we have used for several years now, and highly recommend...it has maintined its original shape and tensil strength well.

However, this week when we were taking the cover off for the spring, we noticed a small hole in the mesh near one end. It was almost perfectly round, about the diameter of a cigarette, no frays, in fact my first suspicion was that it was a cigarette burn hole.

I suspect that it may have been a burn hole from either an ember from the patio or house fireplace or from fireworks (New Years Eve).

Anyway, does anyone know how to go about repairing a small hole like this? or is this something best left to the experts....

Hal

JohnT
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Anyway, does anyone know how to go about repairing a small hole like this? or is this something best left to the experts....

Hal

I'm not sure I'd worry about it. If it was burned, it sealed the edges of the hole when it happened. Unless it looks like it will tear, I'd be tempted to just ignore it.

sunofthebeach
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I had a mouse eat through my Loop Loc cover when it was stored for the summer in my shed. Loop loc sent me a repair kit. The kit is a peice of the cover material that is glued on both sides of the hole. Loop Loc sent the repair kit to me for free.

Email them and get the repair kit.

I would not let it go, I think the hole will get bigger and be too big to repair.

imfignewton
04-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Some tent and awning companies will repair pool covers for you. Check them out in the yellow pages.

korinian
04-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I've got a similar problem with my cover and sent an email to Loop-Lock a few days ago and this is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail. We carry Patch Kits that are self adhesive patch size 4" x 8" and come 3 to a pack for holes 3” and smaller. Larger holes need to be sent in to be repaired. The patch kits cost for Ultra-Loc and Green Mesh covers are $18.75 plus shipping. Mesh Blue, Black, and Gray patch kits are $19.75 plus shipping; we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Please send your address and phone number along with the type of cover you own and credit card information so that we can further assist you. If you have any further questions please call our Customer Service Dept. @1-800-562-5667.

Thank you,
Loop-Loc, Ltd.

Hope that helps.

mbar
04-28-2006, 09:25 AM
I repaired my mesh cover with one of these patches 3 years ago and it is still holding - it was very simple too!.

halds
04-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the responses!

Korinian and mbar, it sounds as if the company has changed policy and now charges for the patch? Is the patch similar to the type used for repairing tarps if so, wondering if you could save some bucks just using a tarp repair kit?

Was there anything special about the repair kit that would justify the higher price for the kit?
Hal

mbar
04-29-2006, 11:06 AM
To tell the truth, I don't remember if I had to pay for it. The reason it is good to get it from them is that it is made from the same material and color as the mesh cover.

korinian
04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't know if I'd trust the tarp repair kit's adhesive to be the same. I think you'd expect the one from Loop-Lock to be able to handle water and pool chemicals to a certain degree. It could, very well, be the exact same kit, but I'll probably go with the one from Loop-Lock just to cover my bases.

mbar
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
When I got the kit, it didn't come with adhesive - they said to use the adhesive "household goop" which I got at lowes.

sunofthebeach
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
This is ringing a bell now. I am pretty sure I did not pay for my patch kit. I did have to buy the glue myself though. When I got my cover installed, they gave me a bag to store the cover in during the swim season. The bag was made out of the same material as the cover. If you have the bag and are not using it, you could cut the bag and use that as a patch.

Cut a round patch for the top and bottom of the hole and glue it on with the Goop.

Charrua2
05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
After seeing this thread, I sent an email to Loop-loc at 1pm on a Thursday. To my amazement, on Friday a fedex package had arrived at my home. They sent two kits (1X1 and 3X3) cause I hadn't specifiied the size I needed. I sent them an email the following day asking how to install it and they told me to buy a product called household goop

mbar
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Great!!! Sometimes you only have to ask!

halds
05-08-2006, 08:51 AM
After seeing this thread, I sent an email to Loop-loc at 1pm on a Thursday. To my amazement, on Friday a fedex package had arrived at my home. They sent two kits (1X1 and 3X3) cause I hadn't specifiied the size I needed. I sent them an email the following day asking how to install it and they told me to buy a product called household goop

Hi Charrua,

could you email me the email address for Loop Loc? Did you correspond with a specific person?

Thanks
Hal

Charrua2
05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Hal

I sent the email to the following address.

Sales@looploc.com

Good luck

halds
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
You know, I tried that email today, and got a reply that I could BUY the repair kit for $18.98..

I wonder if they have decided to start charging or did you speak with someone to just send a couple of patches?

Hal

Charrua2
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Below is word for word the email I originally sent them. To my surprise, the next day, a Fedex package was on my doorstep:

"
I have a mesh loop-lock cover which has several holes from wear &
tear. I read somewhere where you have a repair kit that you can mail to
owners.If true, I would greatly appreciate a repair kit. Besides the address
which I include below, please let me know if you need anything else. Thank
you in advance,"

I never had to call. It probably depends on the mood of the person when they read the email.

Good luck

PhantomAndy
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
slightly off topic -

But whatever you do - DON'T send your credit card info through e-mail. . .

Call them - don't want you card number floating around the internet in an unencrypted e-mail.