PDA

View Full Version : Opinion RE water level dropping

penelopepitstop
11-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I covered my 24' above ground pool a few weeks ago. It had rained a lot before we covered it so the water level was high. We put the cover on and then it proceeded to rain the entire week after the cover was on so the cover was covered with water. Now, keep in mind that my water level was almost already up to the top of the skimmer. I noticed the other day that the cover is down really low. Do you think all the rain on top of the cover caused the water to spill out or do you think I have a serious leak? It just makes sense to me that some water will come out when the cover is heavy but I'm not sure about 12 inches. Any one have an experience like this?

penelopepitstop
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Anybody ever experience this?

dawndenise
11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Penelope,

penelopepitstop
05-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Ok. I finally figured out that my suspicion was correct. My water level would stay the same until I pumped water off the coverthen it would seem to be lower. We had bad storms last night and I noticed today that the cover clips had come off in a few spots and the cover was undone (I WILL NEVER USE THE COVER CLIPS AGAIN, THEY ARE HORRIBLE). Anyway, I look in the pool and what do I see, only about 6 inches of water left in my pool. My husband pumped excess water off the cover last weekend. My new question is how quickly do i need to get the hose in this pool before the liner messes up? My pool is almost 7 years old and since the water is not currently up very high I can feel that the liner is not touching the wall. I just don't know how flexible this thing will be after 7 years. I didn't want to put too much water in because I wanted to check better for leaks before a complete fill-up. Anybody have experience with this problem? Thanks in advance.

aylad
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
If you feel that the liner isn't touching the wall, I'd go ahead and get the hose in it. As the liner dries out (and as it ages), it loses its flexibility, so I think if you're going to save it, you need to do it now.

I don't know where you live or when you normally open your pool, but you may as well refill it, at least enough to get the liner back against the wall, then start watching for leaks.

Janet

penelopepitstop
05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I've got the hose running now. I looked at my cover earlier and you can see sunlight through all the small holes so that explains my water level dropping. It really stinks to have a brand new cover that you can see sunlight through.