PDA

View Full Version : How big a mistake did I make?

jojasc
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Yesterday I was going through my pool closing and was draining the water level down. I was using a small sump pump to drain the additional water level below the skimmer, as it was late I opted to shut off the pump and continue after work tonight.

Here is where the mistake comes in, while I shut off the pump I did not remove it and the hose from the pool. It maintained the siphon and continued to drain water.

When I discovered it this evening the pool level was down to approx 11 inches below the bottom of the skimmer and return leaving approx 25 inches remaining in the pool.

Do I need to add any water back to the pool, or should the water level remaining be OK over winter? Or should I add any back in? If I do need to add water back how should it be treated, and how would you recommend circulating it through the water?

I am located in the Minneapolis area and have a 27" AG which is covered with air pillows in the middle.

Thanks.

CarlD
10-30-2007, 07:06 AM
OHMYGOD!!!! TEAR THE POOL DOWN!!!!:eek:

Just kidding! :D

You actually aren't in too bad a shape. You didn't drain enough water to compromise the liner. What you need is enough water so the pillows can support the cover when it's loaded down with snow and water. You want the water well below the skimmer--that's good, but the water is a critical support element for the snow.

The pillows help lift the cover and ensure the weight goes onto the water, and doesn't pull in the sides. I don't know how much water you need to add, but that's what you want. You can even put the pillows and MOST of the cover on and fill it till the cover is properly supported. Be sure to protect your skimmer against ice. Remove the weir. If you can't cover it with an Aquador or equivalent,
then put in a Gizmo and a bunch of foam, like from a kid's noodle, so the ice that forms has something to compress. Also, the Gizmo and the foam reduce the volume of water that can freeze in the skimmer, which also prevents damage.

spcchap
11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I have had my 24' AG pool for a few years now. I have never removed the weir, nor used a Gizmo or Aquador. I live just north of Atlanta, GA. It usually doesn't snow here.

Why would I remove the weir? I drain my water below the skimmer and return, so any water in the skimmer would be the result of rain / dew. I thought the Aquador was for people that wanted their water level to stay higher.

Also, CarlD. You mentioned in the sticky post about removing your multi-port valve and placing a trash bag over the opening. Can you please explain this in a little more detail? I have always left my multi-port valve in place, outside on the filter - something I never liked doing.

Thanks!!